Ideas for a tabletop sliding mechanism to allow moving brewpot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattsearle

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm considering changing from a 3 vessel system to single vessel e.g. Grainfather. Because I have an extractor hood to one side of my brew table I'd like to consider a sliding set up that would allow me to have the vessel to the left during mash and lift the basket out to drain, then slide it over so that during the boil it is beneath the extractor. I'd rather have an off the shelf product that put together something out of bits, and I guess it would ideally be like a pad to sit the pot on that sits on a track. I'd hope it could lock at either end, and obviously be able to withstand the necessary weight and water/ wort etc.

If anyone has seen anything like this or knows of something I'd love to hear about it.

Cheers

Drawer slides might work, particularly if attached at the bottom. I recently added this sliding shelf for my plate chiller. I'm not sure about the weight but they do make heavy duty ones.

20220318_203000.jpg

Not store-bought, but easy: a plank with slim rollers might serve. I've used these for kegs and fermenters but they'd work with a kettle too.

I forget the name of the rules, but can dig up the purchase info if this seems worthwhile.
IMG_20220412_153345132.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20220412_153352290.jpg
    IMG_20220412_153352290.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 12
If the table you have is flat, you could get a set of roller ball bearings and simply place them where needed.
https://www.amazon.com/TruePower-Transfer-Bearings-Load-bearing-Capacity/dp/B07P9B7PX1/?th=1You could use something under the kettle to move back and forth if the item isn't large enough on it's own.

Personally, I'm very happy with the steam condenser lid on my Spike+ BK. I have a three vessel setup, where everything except the kettles is mounted to the brew stand. I recently completed the mount for the new plate chiller as well (went into the same area as the old one). I couldn't imagine trying to install a winch to lift a bag (stainless or otherwise) from the MT before going to the boil stage. That's one of the main detractors, to me, of the BIAB setups.

BTW, if you do go with something using the roller ball bearings, make sure you also have guides to keep it in position. Would kind of suck to move the item, walk away to do something, only to have it roll off the table.

Thanks guys, some good ideas there. Thinking the rollers would be good if I can figure out some kind of guides etc.

Cheers

Those sliders shown above can indeed be had with weight ratings up to at least 100 pounds per pair. I've used double-pairs of them in my shop for large full-extension drawers holding well over 100 pounds worth of power tools and the like. However, the ratings are only valid when installed per directions...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back