Ideal temp for storing finished beer and secondary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbo007

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've only got space in my microbrewery for one cellar where I do the secondary in bottle fermentation and store my finished beer in bottles and kegs.

In winter it gets down to 16 degrees celsius. Will this be a problem? Its my first winter with this setup so not sure if I need to increase the temp to 18/19 degree's or not?

I guess its not recommended to store finished beer and do secondary fermentation in the same room? Will this be a problem in the future?

Regards,
Rob

Hi all,
I've only got space in my microbrewery for one cellar where I do the secondary in bottle fermentation and store my finished beer in bottles and kegs.

Beer in the secondary should be held at fermentation temperature or one to two degrees warmer for the yeast to clean up by products of the fermentation. When using the secondary for cold crashing it can be kept much colder. The use of a secondary is not really necessary unless you have additions like fruit or oak cubes. I would use a secondary, when there are no additions, if fermentation was in a bucket and I was bulk aging for over five weeks.

In winter it gets down to 16 degrees celsius. Will this be a problem? Its my first winter with this setup so not sure if I need to increase the temp to 18/19 degree's or not?

Finished beer can be cellared cool, 16°C is not a problem. Bottle carbonation/conditioning should be at warm room temperatures, 21°C to 24°C. 16°C can be a good ambient air temperature for fermentation. Fermentation produces heat, the wort can rise in temperature 1°C to 5°C.

I guess its not recommended to store finished beer and do secondary fermentation in the same room? Will this be a problem in the future?

Never heard of this being a problem.

Regards,
Rob

I hope I fully understood your questions and provided information that will be helpful.

ok, then I should raise the heat in the cellar to 21 degrees then?

As its currently at 16 as I store both finished bottles and the new lot which needs bottled carbonation..

So the finished beer has no problemas being stored at room temp 21 degrees?

When he says "secondary fermentation," he's talking about bottle carbing.

And no, 16° C is too cold for bottle carbing. You want the bottles at at least 70° F for 3 weeks. After that, it's fine to store them at the cooler temperatures.

ok. But my trouble is I only have one area for both. Will finished beer be spoilt at the same temp as beer in the bottle carbing process?

ok. But my trouble is I only have one area for both. Will finished beer be spoilt at the same temp as beer in the bottle carbing process?

The finished beer will be okay at the warmer temperature, not ideal for months of storage, but not harmful for short term storage.

I bring my beer upstairs for bottle conditioning at room temperature.

ok. I'll have to plan a new cellar to avoid this in the future. Thanks guys for clearing this up.

ok. I'll have to plan a new cellar to avoid this in the future. Thanks guys for clearing this up.

You could build an insulated box with temperature control for bottle carbonating. A light bulb or reptile habitat warmer could be the heat source. Look up STC-1000 for a DIY temperature controller.

Trouble is I do lots of 1500 33CL bottles each time. Bit tricky. Might just separate the celar into two parts. Carbing area with Aircon controlled the other store..

Trouble is I do lots of 1500 33CL bottles each time. Bit tricky. Might just separate the celar into two parts. Carbing area with Aircon controlled the other store..

That is a lot of bottles. Wouldn't mind seeing pictures of your brewery.

Here's a few pics. Its a 2.5 Barrel system. Small enough to run it on my own...

David194.jpg

IMG_6498_edited.jpg

IMG_8097.jpg

IMG_8094.jpg

Yeah? in what way? Its a very manual brewhouse. Means you have full control over things :D

I had pictured something small like I have in the downstairs of my house. I don't have more than three five gallon fermentors going at one time.

Ok thanks. I've raised the temp in the cellar to 21 degrees with the aircon unit I have.

Latest posts

Back