Ideal/Recommended Temperatures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UdonPete

Reaction score
I only brew Ales – Bitter, Mild, Porters and the like i.e. not Lagers, NEIPAs etc
Can I ask the idea temperatures for the following please :
A Cold Crashing
B Keg carbonation
C Serving temperature

Personally, it's not often I cold crash these beers, and usually also let them naturally carbonate by adding sugar solution to keg. Two weeks in room temperature. Serving temperature between 10 and 12 Celsius.

Interesting thank you, but I take it you do not do a closed transfer using this method?
The reason I’m asking about temps is because I have just acquired an Allrounder so want to try a pressure/closed transfer

I do both ways, depending on what beer and the volume. If I've done a closed transfer I don't have any problem opening the keg lid and pour some sugar in and after that vent some with co2. It feels like the most important part of closed transfer is just that... the transfer part.

After you add the sugar do you store at room temp and for how long? Them cold crash? What about the trub that settles?

I haven't fermented these beers, the ones the OP mentioned, under pressure. I have considered spunding on the tail end of fermentation but haven't got there yet.
After adding sugar I let it sit 2 weeks in room temperature. Depending on what kind of beer I let it sit one week or longer in fridge (10 to 12 Celsius) before drinking it. No cold crash and no real problem with trub in the beer, first pours might be a bit more hazy but usually it clears very fast.

I'd place stouts/porters with bitters and milds at cellar temps, 10-12c.
@schmurf , I plan on taking a similair approach when I pretty soon start building my kegerator and advance to kegging. 3 weeks at room temp with priming sugar, let it mature a week in my cool-ish basement, put it in fridge at 11c and let it chill then hook it up to co2 and let it sit with gas for a few days before I start pouring.
Darker ales will prob sit in basement a little longer with porters/stouts for 2 months or more.
Do you purge the headspace of the keg after filling it?

I'd place stouts/porters with bitters and milds at cellar temps, 10-12c.
@schmurf , I plan on taking a similair approach when I pretty soon start building my kegerator and advance to kegging. 3 weeks at room temp with priming sugar, let it mature a week in my cool-ish basement, put it in fridge at 11c and let it chill then hook it up to co2 and let it sit with gas for a few days before I start pouring.
Darker ales will prob sit in basement a little longer with porters/stouts for 2 months or more.
Do you purge the headspace of the keg after filling it?
sounds like a good plan. I think 2 weeks for carbonation been good enough for me but 3 certainly won't hurt anything. Yes I purge after filling and adding sugar, regardless of transfer method... it's easy and cheap so why not.

Back