Ideal fermentation temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MinesAPint

Reaction score
Hi there, I've just got stuck into the wonderful world of home brew and I'm ready to start my second batch. I've got a Brew Master Czech Pilsner, with Brew Boost (malt/dextrose i think) instead of straight brew sugar. I also have Pilsner Enzyme to add to the mix.

The instructions tell me to store somewhere between 18-30 degrees, bit of a wide range IMHO, what do people recommend for the ideal brewing temp for this beer? I don't have a fridge to put it into at any point during the brewing process and was thinking of leaving it in the fermentor for 3 weeks before bottling.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I don't think I could cope with 23 litres of crap beer so early in my brewing career!

Given litres, and frozen beer, that's Celcius.

Stick to the lower end - 18-21C for your best results, least likelihood of off-flavors. 30C would be a bit much.

The first 3 to 4 days is most critical so keep it (the beer not the room) at 66F and it will be great. Put your fermenter in a tub and 4 to 6 inches of water and change out bottles of frozen water to maintain temperature. If you have some bubble wrap you can put it over the tub to hold in the cold with a blanket or thick comforter over that.

Thanks for the advice. Yep, I was talking celcius! Will keep it down as low as possible. Haven't got the needed equipment for chilling this brew, and haven't got the patience to wait till I do before I start it! I will definitely try it on the next lager though. Will keep you posted.
Cheers!

i agree with ecnerwal...i would keep it 21°C (70°F) or lower if at all possible.

i ferment all my ales at 58-64°F (15-18°C) to keep them nice and clean
:mug:

i agree with ecnerwal...i would keep it 21°C (70°F) or lower if at all possible.

i ferment all my ales at 58-64°F (15-18°C) to keep them nice and clean
:mug:

Hi there, thanks for the advice all.
Its been in the fermentor for two and a bit days, but only seems to have released gases overnight on the first night, I haven't seen any gas since. Is this normal as I was under the impression in would bubble and ferment for 2-3 days? Any help would be great, thanks

You do have water in the airlock right?
Second, gas may escape from the lid, or the fermentation is just slowing down. It's important to keep the temperature from swinging more than 10F, (too lazy to convert), it can shock the yeast and slow them down.
All in all, don't worry about it. If you need to cool down the brew, you can do a swap cooler, or put it in a water bath, cover with an old tee shirt and add ice.
Not to be too anal, but temperature control to keep your yeast in their happy place makes a big difference in your beer.

Many thanks for the advice. I have water in the airlock, don't worry! The fermentor I'm is airtight, and its sitting fairly consistently at around 21'C. I haven't put into a water bath as I don't have time to go out and find one in time for this brew. I'm not sure what a swap cooler refers to but I think I'll leave it in there at this temp for 3 weeks, then bottle. Cheers for the advice all.

if its a pils it needs to be at lager temps. like 50 or so F. you cant ferment a pils at ale temps.

my cabinet stays at an ambient 58°F. the brews in there usually ferment about 62-64. i check sporadically on the fermometers.

during the winter at my friend's house, it gets nice and cool, usually fermenting at 56-58. in my fermentation chiller at home, i try to keep the carboy around 60.

hoping to get a chest freezer at home soon...start doing lagers...

Latest posts

Back