Ideal Fermentation Temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew-ta-sauraus

Reaction score
What si the ideal fermentation temp for ale's?? Been just putting carboy in the closet for a week or two. See bubbles with in 24 hours so figured all was good. I figure temp in the closet is around 60-70 ish. Should I be fermenting colder? I am reading guys cooling down carboy's to 60.

If you don't have one, a stick on thermometer is great. Room temperature is a good place to start, but the temperature that really matters is the temperature of the wort/beer. Sometimes an intense fermentation can raise the temperature inside the fermenter 8-10 degrees!

They sell those strips, called fermometers, in a homebrew store, or you can use an aquarium thermometer strip.

That's a good point, too. If you're just starting out and don't have a dedicated fermentation chest then using a stick-on thermometer (I have those on all of my primaries as well) and a water bath can help you get a level of control over your fermentation temps.

Thanks all for the replies. I have the stick on therm on my glass primary, but have been using my ale pale lately which is a plactic bucket so no good way to keep track with that. I may go back to glass, and move my fermentation down to my basement where I know it's a constant 60ish or less with winter on it's way. Then use water and an aquarium heater to keep it at the recommended 65deg.

Resurecting an old thread....

Here in Texas, closet temps are around 75 which is definitely on the high side - and can only go a bit higher inside when the fermentation starts. Because of this, I have started putting my bucket fermenter into a large rubbermaid tub filled with water....this keeps the temp around high 60's to low 70's. Prob I have however is that every time I have done this, I deal with suckback through the airlock....why is this happening? I have also had slow fermentations after moving to the bucket in a tub approach....both times needing to remove the lid 48 hours later - stirring the wort vigerously, to get the process started. Probably two different issues altogether but I stumbled on this thread after doing some searching.

Thanks to my fellow homebrewers for the advice as usual!!!

:tank:

Resurecting an old thread....

Here in Texas, closet temps are around 75 which is definitely on the high side - and can only go a bit higher inside when the fermentation starts. Because of this, I have started putting my bucket fermenter into a large rubbermaid tub filled with water....this keeps the temp around high 60's to low 70's. Prob I have however is that every time I have done this, I deal with suckback through the airlock....why is this happening? I have also had slow fermentations after moving to the bucket in a tub approach....both times needing to remove the lid 48 hours later - stirring the wort vigerously, to get the process started. Probably two different issues altogether but I stumbled on this thread after doing some searching.

Thanks to my fellow homebrewers for the advice as usual!!!

:tank:

Generally, you have "suckback" when the wort inside the fermenter cools. To fix that, simply chill your wort to the proper pitching temperature (usually 62-65 degrees) before pitching the yeast and covering and airlocking. It sounds like you're pitching way too warm, and using the swamp cooler to lower the temperature further.

Thanks Yooper....Between you, Reevy and a couple others, I don't know what the hell I would be doing!!! :ban:

Cheers.

I have had "suckback" when I pitched too warm when my thermometer shorted out or when I was in a hurry because my wife had more important things for me to do. I use a tube into a wine bottle of water with a bit of sanitizer for my blowoff. Just pull the tube above the water level in the bottle and the pressure will equalize instantly. You might need to do that a couple of times.
Generally, you have "suckback" when the wort inside the fermenter cools. To fix that, simply chill your wort to the proper pitching temperature (usually 62-65 degrees) before pitching the yeast and covering and airlocking. It sounds like you're pitching way too warm, and using the swamp cooler to lower the temperature further.

I am on the west coast and in summer fermenting is happening at about 75 degrees here and I have never had a problem. If its any hotter than that I suggest a wet T-shirt or wet towel wrapped around the fermenter and place in a Rubbermaid bucket and rotate a couple of 1 litter frozen water bottles in the bucket. Should reduce temp by five degrees vs ambient temp

Back