Idea... Well a proposal to brewing supply companies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoCal-Doug

Reaction score
Yeast... It basically has a 6 month shelf life if treated properly and the stars line up. I propose that retailers pro-rate the price of yeast based on that 6 month window, thence the distributors pro-rate the wholesale cost back to the retailer. In other words, if its 3 months old, you can buy it for 50% off. It kinda makes sense because you are not getting what you pay for as the yeast ages. By 5 months or more, your viability is crap and you will [well, you should] be doing a multi-cycle starter. DME costs money and the older the yeast gets, the more it costs the brewer :)

What made me think of this? I'm brewing a kolsch on new years day. I prefer the Giga-021 because (1) I think it's the best Kolsch yeast available (2) their package claims 200 billion cells when fresh. In other words, yay! no starter. I get to the supplier today and the freshest is three and a half months old. Crap, break out the flask and the stir plate.

Just a thought to ponder on.

Do you give your employer a discount if you’re late with a project deadline? What if you had to give back 50% of your salary for being 6 months late on a deadline?

You really have two choices. Keep paying full price for older yeast and being able to revive it with a starter, and keep your LBHS open for business or buy online and probably still have to make a starter and then your LHBS goes out of business.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m right there with you, but in reality it would mean a small business going under. And in this day and age, a small business can sometimes be hanging on by a thread, especially a LHBS.

I buy some stuff online, but also try to keep the LBHS alive and buy some things from them even if I have to pay a few more bucks.

It’s a hobby. Start worrying about finances when it’s a business.

One of my brew shops gives half-price liquid yeasts if it's close to expiring. I've even gotten a few free-bees from them for stuff that was well off. I don't expect to get them for cheap or free, but it's always a nice surprise when I find something I need for 50% off.

Even after it is expired it can still be used if it was stored properly. Since the store likely cannot return expired yeast it is a loss for them. To give a 50% discount at halfway to the expiration date would mean little to no profit on that item.

It's really hard to have a successful business model dependent on elements one cannot control--such as how quickly customers resell the product, how well the product is stored awaiting purchase, and so on.

I know my LHBS tries to balance having fresh yeast with having enough stock so when I come in he's got in stock what I want.

I can do a starter...in fact, with liquid yeast I always do. It's not the end of the world.

Did I misread it? I thought Doug was talking about a program of reimbursement to the retailer, so the retailer is ultimately out nothing. Right now I can't see a way for it to work, but from a marketing point, I am intrigued. "If your yeast is more than ___ out, we stand behind our freshness, and behind you, the homebrewers who use us. Go to _______ for ....", whatever.

TBH, I think it would be in the manufacturers' best interests to have something in place. We've all been in Doug's place. I fill an order with a LHBS online for pickup, they have it in stock, awesome, go there and it's...all but dead, way past code. So is every container of that yeast in that store. I want to support the LHBS, but no more than as a chef could I sell "well-aged" wild quail, or "special ammoniac-tinged black cod," should it be right for anybody to knowingly sell stale wares to someone. So, I hear Doug's point and would think there's a way to deal with it.

PS: Maybe I'm just b!tching about the restaurant biz - talk about trying to project out demand on rapidly decaying product. Yep, b!tching, lol.

Kinda/sorta.

"I propose that retailers pro-rate the price of yeast based on that 6 month window, thence the distributors pro-rate the wholesale cost back to the retailer."

Different metrics, though. Eg: 50% off retail is likely quite a bit more $$ than 50% off wholesale, so the retailer is still out some amount (though I reckon their actual cost would be covered, so maybe that's not so bad).

But I'd be concerned about folks gaming such a system...

Cheers!

A jug of milk or dozen eggs or box of crackers has a best-by date several weeks or more from its stock date. They aren't typically discounted 1/2 way through their shelf life. Its a nobel thought, but not a viable model.

Last edited:
I live in Canada and rarely get yeast younger than 60 days. No lhbs where I live, so everything is done online. Their policy I assume is first in, first out. I don't mind, as more dme doesn't make a dollar difference. I re-use my yeast, so I do get my money's worth in the long run.

Kinda/sorta.

"I propose that retailers pro-rate the price of yeast based on that 6 month window, thence the distributors pro-rate the wholesale cost back to the retailer."

Different metrics, though. Eg: 50% off retail is likely quite a bit more $$ than 50% off wholesale, so the retailer is still out some amount (though I reckon their actual cost would be covered, so maybe that's not so bad).

But I'd be concerned about folks gaming such a system...

Cheers!

Homebrewers gaming a system? Never. Homebrewers are the most straight laced upstanding crowd of do it yourselfers you’ll ever meet. I’ve never met a homebrewer who wanted something for free. ;-)

Really like the idea of some sort of freshness rebate. I don’t know that you’d be able to successfully employee something like that at the distribution chain level. Too many hands changing money to add another process to it. I think you could find manufacturers who might do something like a freshness rebate where you can use a system to verify your yeast batch and then maybe they send you a new package (or maybe a half-sized rebate pack) to get you back to your original freshness level.

A jug of milk or dozen eggs or box of crackers has a best-by date several weeks or more from its stock date. They aren't typically discounted 1/2 way through their shelf life. Its a nobel thought, but not a viable model.
Not where I live. Several grocery stores will apply a dollar or two off sticker on meats a day before the “sell before date”. Let’s not forget the “sell by” and “Best Buy” dates are not magical extinction of quality timers.

I see what you are saying...... but, I don't see that as very practical from the home brew store perspective. Home-brew stores have enough work to make a go of it. Customers are also paying $ to have a large variety of yeast readily available at a whim.
I used to communicate with my home-brew store owner and he would let me know when he got fresh yeast in, and he would also collect suggestions from customers as to what they wanted.... So, as soon as it showed up, we went in and got fresh yeast. If he had really old yeast he would often do a 2 for 1 on it and let you know that you would still need to do a starter or two to bring it back up to speed.

In general, if a person is picking up ingredients to "brew tomorrow".... they are kind of rolling the dice a bit. Always best to have stuff on hand a week or so ahead and have it planned out in case they don't have something or a starter needs to be made.

The proposal is based at least in part on the premise that you’re buying a number of cells and as cells die over time the price should come down. In other words, you could do math to determine $ per cell cost of a given package at a given time.

I don’t think you’re buying cells...you’re buying a product that will effectively ferment 5G of average gravity wort. The fact that the product has extra cells at 1 month vs 4 month doesn’t effect the value as long it still does what it’s supposed to at 4 months.

Once the product can no longer be assured to properly do what it’s supposed to, then you can find it in the discount bin and expect to invest time and $$ in making a starter so that you can achieve the goal of healthy fermentation

My LHBS hates selling liquid yeast. He says he makes no money on it due to the high shipping costs and massive loss due to old yeast. But he MUST carry it, or lose customers.

My thought is that White / Wyeast should ship direct. They wouldn't have to give the dealers a cut, and use that money to get me 2-day free shipping and some sort of packaging that preserves the yeast for that trip. I don't think there is a way to do it economically though.

Last edited:
What would be neat is if the liquid yeast package was clear, and included a stain that let you visually see how much viable or dead cells were in there. For those of us that have stained yeast cell like this, you can easily see dead ones under the microscope - they are solid blue or purple because their useless cell walls don't reject the stain.

This, of course, is just another ridiculous idea that has no chance of working. I'm full of those today :)

Also, almost anyone who is looking to be a bit frugal with their money in regard to yeast is generally reusing the yeast. I would say the minimum number of beers I ever brew off of 1 vial/pouch of yeast is 3-4. Generally, it is more like 6-10. That pretty much makes yeast "free" for all practical purposes already.

This is the perfect opportunity for some entrepreneur-minded homebrewer to develop a model of yeast delivery/guarantee that would would work, economically.

I think of my LHB club and think on how many of them care about any of this. I'm going to guess...maybe 20 percent. They tend to buy kits from the LHBS, almost always with dry yeast as part of that kit. They don't experiment (much), and the desire to push the envelope is not evident in more than 2 or 3 of them.

It's easy for us to look at the reaction here and presume there's great demand for some sort of yeast guarantee or some such...but we're in an echo chamber with like-minded individuals.

I question whether there are enough of us to provide the necessary customer base to make any of the above ideas work.

And since there is a readily acceptable method to deal with this, i.e., make a starter, I think we'd find the increase in yeast prices that resulted would push more to doing starters, harvesting yeast, and so on...enough that the model would collapse.

There is a model (of sorts) for this.... The Yeast Vault from Whitelabs..... I think it does reflect some of what mongoose points out. Those of us who are super focused on this sort of thing are few and far between. Even acknowledging many of the yeasts in the Vault are unique - it can still take "forever" to get some of them.
https://www.whitelabs.com/yeast-vault

Respectfully, I would again say that the premise of pro-rating the price based on age is predicated on assigning value to the packet based on the number of healthy yeast likely to be contained assuming proper storage and normal loss over some number of weeks.

This is not how yeast is sold.

OK, so a home brew store purchases yeast based upon speculation of what is most likely to turn over in the next couple of months. They are taking a risk that demand for each strain will match their projection. As with most stores, my go-to store errs on the side of having sufficient inventory of a yeast strain when the customers want them, but do not want to run out. Most of the time, their yeasts are within 3 months of the current date and sometimes they get caught with their pants down and there is a rush on a given strain which they did not plan on. It is difficult enough to manage this type of inventory control let alone start to lose sales margin just because the customers suddenly switch their typical buying habits. Add to that the difficulty of trying to account for the elapsed time since the packaging date at the cash register and you have made the job of supplying home brewers increasingly complex.

While a nice concept, I just don't see this working well for the LHBS; too much work with little upside gain.

BTW, my LHBS of choice sells 5 to 6 month old yeast at half price to move it before it expires. Add to that when I have purchased yeast that is 4 months or older, I often get a viable cell count much higher than the yeast package aging models predict.

I'd like to see the liquid yeast companies move to a system of guaranteeing the count of viable yeast cells as of the expiration date assuming the product was continuously stored at 2-8C.

Imperial and other newcomers are actively promoting cell count at packaging as a way of differentiating. But who cares how many cells were included at packaging? I believe most of us care about how many cells there are when we use the yeast. I also think most of us who pay attention to yeast cell counts, given choice would err on side of over pitching rather than under pitching.

So if a yeast manufacturer is going to label a product as having 200 billion cells and place a best buy date of December 31, 2019, then they should be claiming that they expect the package to have 200 billion viable cells as of December 31, 2019 - if stored and shipped as recommended.

I work in pharmaceutical industry and when we sell a product and mark it with a shelf life we are guaranteeing based on our rigorous testing that the potency of the product (mg of active drug substance/tablet) will fall within a certain range (typically +/- 10% label strength) from day it leaves the factory up until the expiration date. The not "too much" is important in pharmaceuticals to avoid overdosing patients and we have to work hard to make products very stable to last at room temperature for 2 years, exposed to air and possibly humidity, and not lose potency.

I get it that brewers yeast is a more unstable product, but again I don't mind getting extra yeast, I just want to know that I got at minimum the full labeled potency of the product. From a marketing perspective I think this would encourage the yeast manufacturers to worry more about their containers and distribution to assure delivery of the guaranteed pitch (thinking White Labs pure pitch packs might stand out but don't really know). I think it is unreasonable that we homebrewers are all using the same degradation calculators (mr malty, brewers friend, beer united) for different strains of yeast packaged in different packages by different suppliers. The yeast manufacturers knows their products, they should take responsibility for the accuracy of these calculations.

Not where I live. Several grocery stores will apply a dollar or two off sticker on meats a day before the “sell before date”. Let’s not forget the “sell by” and “Best Buy” dates are not magical extinction of quality timers.
1-2 Day before - yes, but do you see an incremental decrease from the date it was stocked? Say item is $4 and sell by is 4 weeks, do they drop the price $0.50 a week? No. Dropping the price on the last couple days is clearance pricing.

I totally agree with Eric. This issue is on the yeast companies. They need to be working backwards from the end date. The whole smoke and mirror game of 100 billion cells in the factory and whatever less the end consumer gets is what they get is lame imho. I don't want to put LHBSs in a tough spot but we should be allowed to be consumers. A few years ago my cousin and I were brewing and the LHBS sold is a vial of WL that was totally past expiration. We did not notice this as we were making a starter. When the starter showed nada after 24 hours I looked at the vial and was pissed. We went back and demanded a new vial. They balked but eventually gave us one.

In my mind, they should be reimbursed by WL for a portion of the yeast. Or have some sort of system. Maybe they do but I should not be expected to tank my batch of beer just because it is hard to get the supply chain correct.

Obviously this was an issue that led WL to update their packaging. There still seems like room for further innovation. Something that would center around the consumer waking the yeast from a deeper, life preserving state to allow for extended shelf life. Like dry yeast but viewed as equal to liquid.

Or offer mega packs. But I have seen an improvement with WL since they moved to the new packaging. So it is probably as good as it is going to get.

I'd like to see the liquid yeast companies move to a system of guaranteeing the count of viable yeast cells as of the expiration date assuming the product was continuously stored at 2-8C.

Imperial and other newcomers are actively promoting cell count at packaging as a way of differentiating. But who cares how many cells were included at packaging? I believe most of us care about how many cells there are when we use the yeast. I also think most of us who pay attention to yeast cell counts, given choice would err on side of over pitching rather than under pitching.

So if a yeast manufacturer is going to label a product as having 200 billion cells and place a best buy date of December 31, 2019, then they should be claiming that they expect the package to have 200 billion viable cells as of December 31, 2019 - if stored and shipped as recommended.

I work in pharmaceutical industry and when we sell a product and mark it with a shelf life we are guaranteeing based on our rigorous testing that the potency of the product (mg of active drug substance/tablet) will fall within a certain range (typically +/- 10% label strength) from day it leaves the factory up until the expiration date. The not "too much" is important in pharmaceuticals to avoid overdosing patients and we have to work hard to make products very stable to last at room temperature for 2 years, exposed to air and possibly humidity, and not lose potency.

I get it that brewers yeast is a more unstable product, but again I don't mind getting extra yeast, I just want to know that I got at minimum the full labeled potency of the product. From a marketing perspective I think this would encourage the yeast manufacturers to worry more about their containers and distribution to assure delivery of the guaranteed pitch (thinking White Labs pure pitch packs might stand out but don't really know). I think it is unreasonable that we homebrewers are all using the same degradation calculators (mr malty, brewers friend, beer united) for different strains of yeast packaged in different packages by different suppliers. The yeast manufacturers knows their products, they should take responsibility for the accuracy of these calculations.
There is no guarantee because it's effectively impossible for the yeast makers to do it, and even harder for you to verify it. Even counting cells with a microscope is an estimate with a large margin of error. Ever wonder why the packs of yeast never explicitly state a cell count?

Lance from Omega has talked with my homebrew clubs a couple times. (Great guy, BTW!) He said that he stands by the cell counts for his packages, but that homebrewers are much better served to focus on pitching healthy yeast than obsessing over cell counts. He said that they observe different viability and cell multiplication rates for each different strain of yeast. Quoting their FAQ:
Omega FAQ said:
How many yeast cells are in your homebrew packs?
Through our proprietary process, we generate the optimal number of yeast cells, which varies from strain from strain, to yield the best and most consistent performance for each. As a result of genetic differences, we have observed strain to strain variation in cell counts even under identical growth conditions. Certain strains may contain up to 500 billion cells per pack while other strains may contain slightly less than 150 billion cells per pack. Most importantly, all packs contain the optimal number of viable yeast cells to ferment 5 gallons of wort up to 1.060 OG at the time of packaging. The number of cells in the pack do not define the success of the brew.
https://omegayeast.com/resources/homebrewing

While Wyeast and White Labs are larger than Omega, and may have some more advanced processes, I'd bet that Omega is just more honest about cell count and viability. So, they can't possibly make any real guarantees here when the yeast leaves their door, much less once it's been handled by a shipping company, a homebrew supply store, and you get it home.

...and my LBHS's mark yeast packs at 50% off when they're over a certain age. They've even given me and other homebrew club members free yeast that was way past it's dates.

Like dry yeast but viewed as equal to liquid.

I do suspect dry yeast is packaged and labeled to guarantee delivery of specific cell count at expiration dating. I believe this is difference between reported measurements of nearly 200 billion cells per packet of dry yeast vs typical label claim of > 66 billion cells per packet (US-05).

It is easy, just overshoot so in 6 months the cell count would not dip below 100 billion cells. Have some integrity with your product instead of letting the marketing overshoot. Companies like Omega and Imperial are trying to exploit this gap.

This all comes down to forecasting for the LHBS on what the customers will need/want.

I would be willing to wager that your LHBS would gladly notify you if asked when a specific strain came in fresh, almost guaranteeing you get the highest cell count you could get (given the supply chain time to your LHBS) On that same vein, if you are the gambling/saving money type, i'd also bet a large number of shops would sell you, at a discount, yeast that just hits their expiration dates, if you were willing to commit to buying a certain qty per year of it.

Example:
My LHBS sells yeast for about 8-9 bucks a pack (liquid). Now if they were to sell something like a punch card for 5 packs of date expired yeast that i could redeem throughout the year for say $20-ish up front, i would jump on that and consider it a win-win for both of us. I would get to try new yeasts, and they could mitigate their financial risk somewhat for expired yeast. I'm going in knowing that i won't get to request a specific yeast and will have to build starters on whatever i get, and the LHBS doesn't have to worry as much about those odd packs going end of life. I also doubt this would reduce my spending on the specific yeasts i know i'd need/want throughout the year.

Market is as the "Yeast Adventurers Club" or something. May even drive up add'l visits to the LHBS to see what is nearing "expiry" which tends to lead to other purchases.

Just a thought.....

There is no guarantee because it's effectively impossible for the yeast makers to do it, and even harder for you to verify it. Even counting cells with a microscope is an estimate with a large margin of error. Ever wonder why the packs of yeast never explicitly state a cell count?

Lance from Omega has talked with my homebrew clubs a couple times. (Great guy, BTW!) He said that he stands by the cell counts for his packages, but that homebrewers are much better served to focus on pitching healthy yeast than obsessing over cell counts. He said that they observe different viability and cell multiplication rates for each different strain of yeast. Quoting their FAQ:

https://omegayeast.com/resources/homebrewing

While Wyeast and White Labs are larger than Omega, and may have some more advanced processes, I'd bet that Omega is just more honest about cell count and viability. So, they can't possibly make any real guarantees here when the yeast leaves their door, much less once it's been handled by a shipping company, a homebrew supply store, and you get it home.

...and my LBHS's mark yeast packs at 50% off when they're over a certain age. They've even given me and other homebrew club members free yeast that was way past it's dates.

No this is not enough. I read the Omega site and Lance sounds like a great guy but I still think the liquid yeast manufacturers choose to hide information that would be helpful to some homebrewers. They justify hiding this information behind saying all the complexity is over our heads and better to keep is simple. It comes across to me as condescending at best and intentionally misleading at worst. They don't want to admit that 5 month old pack that was sold with a claim that it contained 150 billion cells really has something like 15 billion viable cells in it now (Mr Malty).

Compare their homebrewer guidance to their probrewer guidance.
https://omegayeast.com/uploads/price-charts/OYL-Price-Chart.pdf
x million cells per degree plato...order your yeast by number of cells. Why not just tell the pros...trust me this is the right amount of yeast for your batch?

What is the incentive for the yeast companies to change? In discussion with the owner of my LHBS, it seems that the majority of brewers he sees do not make a starter, pay no attention to the dates on the smack packs, and do not engage in brewing to the extent that those few of us here pursue. Those who pack in additional yeast cells have not overwhelmed the market (yet); so no incentive to change mode of product offering is readily apparent.

I'm pretty sure the best by dates on liquid yeast relate to the last date the manufacturer believes the yeast can viably ferment the amount and gravity of wort so there's not a logical reason for the manufacturers to offer a discount or rebate on the product before that date.

It's great when LHBS can sell a wide range of strains but most homebrewers consistently only brew with a small number of strains so somebody has to eat the cost of retailers offering yeast that nobody buys. Look across all of the yeast manufacturers and, aside from sour/brett blends, they all sell pretty much the same handful of yeast with different labels. By putting less commonly purchased yeast on rotating release availability it reduces waste in the retail market while continuing to make those strains available for people who really want to buy them.

Two things here:
1. It's costly for an LHBS (particularly small businesses where margins are tight) to continue stocking a lot of perishable inventory.
2. Like grocery stores throwing out past-ripe produce, the LHBS will not sell all of its yeast stock before the expiration date, and thus what doesn't sell becomes part of the overhead. This has to be passed on to the customer somehow, usually in the form of higher prices.

No easy answer here. With mail-order companies, you don't know how old the yeast is until it arrives. Roll of the dice. For walk-in sales at the local shops, you can look at the date before buying. Even then, if the shop is the only one around, you're kind of stuck with whatever they have on hand.

One thing that worked for me. I have a rapport with the owner of my local shop and one day we were talking about this very topic. He told me that if I plan my brews (I do), call him a week or two in advance and ask for a certain strain. He would add a pack or two to his weekly shipment. I come in and pick up liquid yeast that's very fresh. This may not work everywhere, but it's worth a try. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Can anyone provide a justification to the concept that pitching X number of yeast into Y volume yields a different cell count (Z), than say pitching X/2 into same volume (Y)?

I’m not talking about several orders of magnitude difference in X (as may be seen when propping up bottle dregs), but rather the concern in using a starter vial with 20 billion cells versus the stated 100 billion.

Build of a waste products? Yeast cell division limits? Time? Legitimately interested because it seems counterintuitive to me.

If you start asking WY and WLP (or really anyone else) being asked to reimburse homebrew shops for expired/old yeast when homebrew shops discount expired/old yeast to customers, you're gonna see throttling of supply based on what homebrew shops prove they can sell. While that means fresher yeast it means less strains strains available and less quantity available. So if you're shopping today to brew today or tomorrow, higher chance that instead of old yeast you get no yeast (except for maybe Chico). I don't think you want that.

Buy ahead of time and be prepared to prop yourself. Done.

It'd be nice if labs would ship direct to homebrewers (and maybe some smaller ones do). If pros order from Wyeast or White Labs there's a little more variance in quantity but still not directly order by cell count (order from available pitchable quantities at more or less the same rates marketed to homebrewers). The difference is that when it's propped to order and overnighted from the lab, the viable cell count they tell you is more or less the viable cell count you get.

If you've never been to White Labs operation, I'd suggest a visit. On top of it being a cool place to get yeast variant flights, it gave me an appreciation of what it takes to get a healthy yeast to the pro or homebrewer. I won't be complaining about the 8-9 bucks ever again after seeing what it takes.

If u are concerned with cell counts, buy a second pack. If you don't want to spend the extra money over build a starter and start your own library.

It really is that simple. Yeast is super cheap, even liquid, when you consider what it takes to get it to you in some viable form.

I suspect there's not many posting in this thread who have ever owned and successfully operated long-term a small, profitable business ...

IMO if this idea was implemented at a typical LHBS, all I can see happening is:

1) the cost for the newest/freshest yeast to increase significantly as a means to reduce the LHBS' financial risk and offset any cost/loss for discounting yeast closing in on the expiration date

and then

2) the varieties/formats/producers of stocked yeast strains would be reduced to only those which would dependably be sold within a short period of time, coupled with a further price increase to offset the cost of additional shipping charges the LHBS pays for smaller, more frequent orders to keep yeast package dates within a month of manufacture

closely accompanied by

3) the quantities of stocked yeast packages for a given strain would diminish to further reduce financial risk

given the simplicity of checking yeast package dates when making a purchase, and making a starter when/if needed, I see no sustainable long-term consumer benefit that would offset a short-term savings of $2-$4 on a specific package of 'not packaged within the last month' yeast

simply my two Indian Rupees on the topic ...

I bought two expired packs once from my LHBS. Half price! I would not have bought, but he didn't have any newer ones of the strain I wanted.

Neither expanded, but I pitched into starter anyway. It was all a big fat fail. I'll never buy yeast older than 1 month again, for ANY price.

It is easy, just overshoot so in 6 months the cell count would not dip below 100 billion cells. Have some integrity with your product instead of letting the marketing overshoot. Companies like Omega and Imperial are trying to exploit this gap.
I assume most companies already do overshoot. The concerns I have regarding yeast viability has to do with everything that happens after it leaves the lab.
I know that they are shipped 1-day in cold-package boxes, but:
How long did it sit in the back of a hot truck?
How long did it sit @ lbhs before getting unpacked?
How temp-stable is the refrigerator @lbhs?
How accurate is the temperature of the storage refrigerator @lbhs?
How often s the storage fridge accessed @lbhs?
How is the yeast transported home, coldpack?
How long did it sit @ home before getting unpacked?
How temp-stable is the refrigerator @home?
How accurate is the temperature of the storage refrigerator @home?

I'm sure other valid questions too, but there are many intrinsic and extrinsic variables that can potentially alter yeast viability. A Lab can only guarantee a specific cell count as it leaves their facility, unless they control shipping.

Back