Idea: Flan with malted barley caramel sauce and cascade hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm not a dessert person, but wanted to make something fabulous for the holidays.

At NHC in 2011, the dessert they served at the banquet was a flan with a malted barley caramel sauce infused with cascade hops. It was outstanding.

So, how to make something like this??

I'm sure the flan is straightforward. I could use LME, but that would be boring.

Maybe mash some grains (caramunich?) and reduce down to a syrup and add some cascade dust?

Anyone does anything like this?

That sounds like it would be a start. The key to caramel (as I'm sure you know) is that it's a ton of sugar that caramelizes, so maybe a wort of two-row/caramel malt and then reduced. I'd probably use a lighter crystal than CaraMunich, to avoid any burnt flavors. Much of the sugar would come from the two-row, and give the barley caramel flavor via the reduction, I'd think.

That sounds like it would be a start. The key to caramel (as I'm sure you know) is that it's a ton of sugar that caramelizes, so maybe a wort of two-row/caramel malt and then reduced. I'd probably use a lighter crystal than CaraMunich, to avoid any burnt flavors. Much of the sugar would come from the two-row, and give the barley caramel flavor via the reduction, I'd think.

Yeah, it looks like a description of his,dish on the interwebs is described as just 2-row.

(I have 5lbs of caramunich I have no use for, so I'm looking for something to do with it :))

I reached out to Sean Paxton (chef that made this) and he's apparently going to be redoing his website and posting his old NHC recipes soon :)

Back