ID Braided PVC Tubing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breck09

Reaction score
Just got back from Lowes and bought some 1/2" ID Braided PVC Tubing to use in my mash tun? When I told the guy that I needed food grade tubing this is what he gave me. Looking though some threads here I see that I should not be using PVC as it can leach some bad stuff into your beer. Is the tubing I bought fine or do I need to get something different. And if I have to take it back I wonder if Lowes will take back the tubing back?

They should take it back just due to their return policy but the fact that the guy gave you the wrong thing just solidifies your argument.

are you talking about tubing to drain it or to make a manifold? if you are talking drainage tube, i wouldn't worry too much about it. i use the normal clear plastic tubing from there to drain my mash tun with, works fine. i also used to use the braided stuff for my HLT which worked fine also.

I've read that the regular vinyl tubing only has a temperature threshold of 150 degrees, and thus isn't the best for a mash tun or HLT? I'm not sure since I've been thinking this same thing and wondered about the temperature thresholds for certain types of tubing.

android said:
are you talking about tubing to drain it or to make a manifold? if you are talking drainage tube, i wouldn't worry too much about it. i use the normal clear plastic tubing from there to drain my mash tun with, works fine. i also used to use the braided stuff for my HLT which worked fine also.

Yes I am talking about the tubing that I would be using to drain the wort from the mash fun to my kettle. Using a screen inside my mash run.

If you can get your hands on silicone that would be better. I don't know what you can get from Lowes/Home Depot that would be comparable.

Ya I've heard its hard to find silicone tubing locally, and its easier to just buy it online, but does anyone know a specialty store that might have it locally?

Maybe a pet store or an aquarium supply place?

the problem is that they won't have the right diameter of tubing. the silicone tubing used for aquariums is very narrow. only place locally you will find it is usually LHBS. Mcmaster has it online plus about every online HBS.

i really wouldn't worry about using the normal tubing from HD/Lowes. it's never given me any problems. if you will be using the tubing around the boil (like recircing for sanitation purposes), then the high temp silicone tube is more important. the hose may have gotten a little soft when transferring from the HLT a few times, but that's when i switched to the braided for the HLT and used the standard clear tubing for the MLT. the only reason i use silicone now is because i got a pump and need it for recirculating through the whirlpool IC.

Back