ice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cch0830

Reaction score
If I was doing a partial boil of 2.5 gallons, could I pour in 2 gallons of water with about half a gallon of ice to cool my wort faster?

Don't mind if I do!

I just put two gallon jugs of water in the freezer when I start. By the time I have finished the boil they are good and cold, even with some ice in them. Just cool wort to about 80, pour them in and add any additional top off water. Brings it down to about 65 every time.

Yea I like that idea but I was trying to make use of our ice maker we hardly use and save on the space our 2 fridges and freezers don't have. My hunting hobby along with my brewing hobby really takes up space in the freezers, fridges, garage, and rooms.

Don't mind if I do!

+1 to beergolf. I just put a gallon or two of water into the freezer when I start brewing, and by the time I am ready to cool the wort, its usually just starting to form a thin layer of ice on the top. After adding the ice water and top off tap water it cools down to 65 very quickly. I sanitize the jugs before I add the water into them, but that's about it because otherwise its just very cold tap water.

I would be careful of taking ice from your ice maker unless you do a good job of cleaning out the container the ice is in. Otherwise, think of it this way, it just sits there in your freezer over a long period of time, with whatever is in the air going into that fridge as you open and close the door. Maybe I am being over cautious, but that could potentially lead to introducing something you don't want in your beer.

I would be careful of taking ice from your ice maker unless you do a good job of cleaning out the container the ice is in. Otherwise, think of it this way, it just sits there in your freezer over a long period of time, with whatever is in the air going into that fridge as you open and close the door. Maybe I am being over cautious, but that could potentially lead to introducing something you don't want in your beer.

+1. I would not use the ice directly in the wort. You could use it up in an ice bath to help cool the brew pot down. Lots of ice some water and even add some salt to help super cool the water. That will help you get the temp down quickly.

Back