Ice water bath fermentation.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikek

Reaction score
I've read several threads on this topic and am still confused on one aspect. I understand the bath is crucial the first week or so to keep the temp down during the bulk of fermentation but once that is done and I am racking for extended secondary for a RIS, do I need to keep it in the water bath or at that point is a cool basement room ok? I plan on an extended secondary of several months. Most fermentation will take place in primary. My understanding is that is the period of time I need the bath cooling the beer. Any input appreciated.

Just during primary will you use the water bath, during secondary you can leave it anywhere dark, I put mine in a cabinet.... Or since you're using a floor, just be sure to keep it covered from direct light.......

Hello, it will actually age/condition faster at 70 deg in the secondary, than at cool basement temps, depending on what that is?

A closet maybe? for your aging.

Cheers :mug:

I think by the time I get to secondary ambient temps in basement will be mid to upper 60s. I would rather be a bit on cool side that warm but I agree allowing to come up in temp a bit will be good for conditioning.

I wouldn't worry as long as it isn't going to get real warm like 72+. I would keep it under that.

Sent from my iPhone

Back