Ice Cream Keezer Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

socalboomer

Reaction score
I finally got time to start this thing. I haven't gotten a ton done yet as I hit a major snag which means more work, but here goes:

I was given an ice-cream freezer - one of the old chest-type ones. One of the kitchens on campus wanted to get rid of it. My gain! It's 3'x3' and stands about 3 1/2' tall on 6" heavy duty casters.
WP_000272.jpg

I can easily get 4 kegs in there, perhaps 5, with room on the hump for the CO2. It's JUST tall enough inside for the corny's and connects.
WP_000273.jpg

I need to make a hole so I can pipe up to the tower (future) - so I carefully started a hole using a bi-metal holesaw and as soon as it broke through the steel cover, I stopped and pulled it away.
WP_000275.jpg

Then I dug around with screwdriver and utility knife to see if I could find any pipes in the way. Yep - found one. Dug some more, found the seam between the top and the sides. Shop vac to clear out all the crap. . . looks good. I think I'm clear of anything - just going to take the steel off. . . HSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. . .hit. pic shows more after I cut through - I had already nicked it enough to let all the coolant out, so I just made the hole. Might have been able to have someone fix it - dunno - but oh well.
WP_000276.jpg

well, there goes a working cooler. . . now to pull all of the old cooling crap out and put in the guts from a good-sized mini-fridge. I figure it'll do fine considering it's not that much smaller in cubic feet than the ice cream cooler, I don't need it THAT cold; and the fridge was insulated with about 1" while the ice-cream cooler has 3" of Styrofoam. . .
WP_000278.jpg

More to come.

some of those old models are repairable - get the line sealed back up and re-charge. Call a good HVAC man that works on commercial refrigerators

Thanks for the advise. I called a local refrigerator service place and asked if they could fix it. After sending pics and such, he said it would be more expensive than I want to pay so... :|

Would have to cut open a bigger portion of the interior lining to get at the copper tube, dig out a lot of the insulation and then shield the rest so a patch could be soldered on, and then put in new refrigerant.

We'll see, but for now the plan is to use the other fridge's guts.

Back