Ice Cream Freezer to Kegerator Conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ardyexfor

Reaction score
I have an ice cream freezer that I'm looking to convert into a kegerator. It's big enought to house two 1/2 barrels or possibly 4 1/4 barrels. It has sliding glass doors on the top, I was thinking i could probably make a 4" insert (give or take) to go on the side of one of the doors and just leave the door partially opened and place the insert in the opening with the lines running through it and some sort of seal. That way I wouldn't have to drill through the freezer at all.

From what I have gathered I could house a co2 and a nitro tank in the freezer with the kegs? Is this true? That way the only lines that would come out of it at all would be the beer lines which i plan to run up to the underside of a bar with a tap row. Which brings me to my next question which is how to keep the external lines cold?

This will be my first kegerator project, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I can provide pictures later if needed, thanks!

From what I have gathered I could house a co2 and a nitro tank in the freezer with the kegs? Is this true?

Yes, yes

Which brings me to my next question which is how to keep the external lines cold?

People use air, water, and glycerin systems to keep lines cool. The basic concept is to run a tube from the kegger to the taps with the lines inside, plus room for cooling. If the kegger will be under the bar, a simple insulated box between the bar and the kegger would be enough.

Back