Ice cold beer on an ice cold day?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerbeque

Reaction score
I love my homebrew and beer in general but after working outside on an ice cold day, a cold one doesn't sound too appealing when I get home. Do you guys keep your beers warmer for the frigid weather or do you stick to wine on these frosty evenings? or maybe a Scotch instead?

Granted I'm only in Georgia so it doesn't get all that cold down here compared to up North. However, I tend to enjoy some fuller bodied beers when it's cold. A nice porter or stout helps warm me up a bit.

You should brew up some barley wines. Or, if you're an Apfelwein fan, try making warm grog with it. Ive done it twice this winter and its mighty tasty.

I concur that a "bigger beer" -- i.e. Barleywines, Imperial Stouts, Doppelbocks -- served near room temperature are the way to go. Preferably something with a noticeable warmth from the alcohol.

It's one of the reasons winter is my favorite season.

I like to bottle brown ales for the winter and keep them in my basement (68'F). They taste great in a cooler weather.

Something nice and malty is good... For example I love a good Scotch Ale around 42F and it hits the spot on a cold and/or snowy day/night.

That's what winter warmers and barley wines are made for and they taste best at room temperature or even warmed up a bit.

I was in my LHBS last night and the owner brought out one of his beers for the couple of us who were browsing to taste. It was a PBA: Peated Brown Ale.

I have GOT to brew me one of those! I've never had a smoked beer before, but that was delicious! And it would be perfect on a cold winter's night, too. A nice British taste to it with a warm smokiness.

Oh, and +1 to barleywines and impy stouts. Mmm, mmm. I have a 2006 stone imperial stout that I picked up last time SWMBO and I were in Brooklyn. Can't wait to open that stuff!

Smoked beer has a place, but by jove that German stuff tastes of cheese and sausages. You wouldn't want to be thirsty and only have that to hand.

Speakin of ice cold beer, I just stuck two plastic jugs of homebrew out on the back porch to take advantage of the sub-freezing temps of our first blizzard of the season. If I can't make it out the driveway tomorrow I won't mind so much.

Man, down here in Texas it has finally gotten chilly, but averaging in the 50's probably. I'm hoping that I can make a lager outside.

It was a little windy and cool last night, so I picked up a four-pack of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout.

I forewent dinner in favor of two of those. I guess that's why I went to bed at 8:30 p.m. last night.

Nice beer to have on a cold night, though.

I don't drink any of my beer ice-cold, even on a hot day. I keep my beer in a fridge in the garage or in my kegerator, and I maintain 45*F-50*F temps.

I say damn the weather and drink lagers... Well, I have to, since I need the stubby bottles.

Back