Ice cold beer on an ice cold day?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Beerbeque

Reaction score
I love my homebrew and beer in general but after working outside on an ice cold day, a cold one doesn't sound too appealing when I get home. Do you guys keep your beers warmer for the frigid weather or do you stick to wine on these frosty evenings? or maybe a Scotch instead?

HossTheGreat

Reaction score
Granted I'm only in Georgia so it doesn't get all that cold down here compared to up North. However, I tend to enjoy some fuller bodied beers when it's cold. A nice porter or stout helps warm me up a bit.

fretsforlife

Reaction score
You should brew up some barley wines. Or, if you're an Apfelwein fan, try making warm grog with it. Ive done it twice this winter and its mighty tasty.

Handle

Banned
Reaction score
I concur that a "bigger beer" -- i.e. Barleywines, Imperial Stouts, Doppelbocks -- served near room temperature are the way to go. Preferably something with a noticeable warmth from the alcohol.

It's one of the reasons winter is my favorite season.

Scooby_Brew

Reaction score
I like to bottle brown ales for the winter and keep them in my basement (68'F). They taste great in a cooler weather.

cyberbackpacker

Reaction score
Something nice and malty is good... For example I love a good Scotch Ale around 42F and it hits the spot on a cold and/or snowy day/night.

david_42

Reaction score
That's what winter warmers and barley wines are made for and they taste best at room temperature or even warmed up a bit.

shadowmage36

Reaction score
I was in my LHBS last night and the owner brought out one of his beers for the couple of us who were browsing to taste. It was a PBA: Peated Brown Ale.

I have GOT to brew me one of those! I've never had a smoked beer before, but that was delicious! And it would be perfect on a cold winter's night, too. A nice British taste to it with a warm smokiness.

Oh, and +1 to barleywines and impy stouts. Mmm, mmm. I have a 2006 stone imperial stout that I picked up last time SWMBO and I were in Brooklyn. Can't wait to open that stuff!

danlad

Reaction score
Smoked beer has a place, but by jove that German stuff tastes of cheese and sausages. You wouldn't want to be thirsty and only have that to hand.

dogwielder

Reaction score
Speakin of ice cold beer, I just stuck two plastic jugs of homebrew out on the back porch to take advantage of the sub-freezing temps of our first blizzard of the season. If I can't make it out the driveway tomorrow I won't mind so much.

HalfPint

Reaction score
Man, down here in Texas it has finally gotten chilly, but averaging in the 50's probably. I'm hoping that I can make a lager outside.

Handle

Banned
Reaction score
It was a little windy and cool last night, so I picked up a four-pack of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout.

I forewent dinner in favor of two of those. I guess that's why I went to bed at 8:30 p.m. last night.

Nice beer to have on a cold night, though.

Walker

I use secondaries. :p
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I don't drink any of my beer ice-cold, even on a hot day. I keep my beer in a fridge in the garage or in my kegerator, and I maintain 45*F-50*F temps.

HalfPint

Reaction score
I don't drink any of my beer ice-cold, even on a hot day. I keep my beer in a fridge in the garage or in my kegerator, and I maintain 45*F-50*F temps.
Yeah, my kegerator is kept at 42*.

khiddy

Reaction score
I say damn the weather and drink lagers... Well, I have to, since I need the stubby bottles.