IC extension ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttownbrew

Reaction score
New to HB, doing my first brew TODAY! Last week I made an IC out of 20' of copper. Yesterday I bought a 36 qt stainless pot instead of using the 30 qt alum that I had.

Guess what the IC is too small. Any problems with coupling another 10-20 foot to the IC even with the joints being in the wort?

I guess there would be a fear that the joints blow but I have soldered a lot of copper and feel fine about that.

Any problems with this?

Thanks for the advise and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

You might be able to get away with using a compression fitting instead of soldering it. Just an idea....

I made my immersion chiller out of 20' copper tubing because they didn't have any lengths between that and 100'.
My chiller has worked fine for all of my all grain brewing including some 10 gallon batches.
Why do you say yours is too small?

Go ahead and connect 2 lengths of copper together and just remember to treat any brass fittings with hydrogen peroxide and vinegar; it'll work just fine.

Salt and vinegar also works quite well for cleaning copper. Since you boil immersion chillers anyway, there's no risk of infection per se, you just need to make sure you get rid of any residual flux/etc from the joint once you're done so it doesn't get boiled into your wort. As long as you clean it up properly after, I'd say you're all set.

Thanks all!

It just seems to small...i am sure it is not. I fit it for my 30 qt pot and like I said, picked up a 36 qt. It looks tiny. I think I will just add a few feet of tubing for the hose connections so that the original 20 ft is all in the wort. That seems sufficient.

Back