IBU help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calibrewer209

Reaction score
I'm trying to find out what my IBU's will be on my first batch. Tastybrew calculated it at 82.3, brew calculus said 43.3, and I got 75 using the equation in The joy of homebrewing... I can't seem to get a consistant number and I was wondering if you guys can tell me what you think it will be. Here's the recipe:

5 gal batch
3 gal boil (60 min)
SG (after boil) 1.058

6.6 lb dark malt extract syrup (60 min)
1 lb crystal 50-65L (steeped pre boil)
10 oz brown sugar (60 min)

1 oz Chinook 11.8 AA% (60 min)
1 oz cascade 6.4 AA% (15 min)
1 oz simco 12.2 AA% (5 min)

Thanx!!

Per Beer Smith:

Rager = 56
Tinseth = 40
Garetz = 28

I prefer Rager. I think Tinseth is the most popular, but I think it gives a falsely high IBU number when doing late hop additions.

If you want to get a higher IBU number, add half the LME late, and add the sugar to the fermenter after the height of fermentation is past.

I c, thnx. I guess I'll have to just be happy with 50 ibu's... sucks cuz I scaled back my original plan of:
2 oz Chinook (60), 1.5 cascade (15), 1.5 simco (5) thinkin it was gonna be too high and now it's to low...

I c, thnx. I guess I'll have to just be happy with 50 ibu's... sucks cuz I scaled back my original plan of:
2 oz Chinook (60), 1.5 cascade (15), 1.5 simco (5) thinkin it was gonna be too high and now it's too low...

Back