Ibu calculator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raven125

Reaction score
Hey everyone

what's the most accurate ibu calculator ?

I've been using a app called wort. I just switched to beersmith 2 and noticed when I put my recipes in the ibu changed.

So I started checking with other calculators (beerfriends,beer365,hopopinion )

just to name a few and they all gave me a different calculation.

So which is best or right?

I don't know the answer to that. I do know you need to set up a equipment profile first before you start building recipes, also depending on the software you will have to adjust alpha % based on the hops you have, they are different from companies and from year to year.

Hey everyone

what's the most accurate ibu calculator ?

I've been using a app called wort. I just switched to beersmith 2 and noticed when I put my recipes in the ibu changed.

So I started checking with other calculators (beerfriends,beer365,hopopinion )

just to name a few and they all gave me a different calculation.

So which is best or right?

I'd say Beersmith is the most reliable, only because it has your personalized equipment profile in which it accounts for the utilization of the hops. It's impossible to get a perfect IBU calculation at the homebrew level unless you send them in to a lab (or whatever you'd call it) to be tested.

In general you can target ~1 ppm isomerized alpha acids to achieve ~1 IBU although this linear relationship breaks down in beers over 30 BU / ppm iso aa

Back