I would apperciate some thoughts on a potentially terrible beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ploppythesausage

Reaction score
About 8 days ago my friend and I brewed up an experimental batch of...something...using a lager kit that came with a brew kit we bought.
In addition to the 1.5kg can of generic pale pre-hopped extract we added

500g of black treacle
500g molasses
one ginger root, grated
vanilla essence
a packet of candied citrus peel
a tin of black forest fruits
2 cinammon sticks

After a week the fruit had gone moldy so we racked to a clean fermenter.
Since then I've tasted it a couple of times and, well, its not great. I added some nutmeg and more vanilla (figured what the hell, its probably ruined anyway.)

So basically it's just over a week but it tastes pretty rank. Do you think this will improve or just ditch it?

Cheers!

Did you put your spices & all in with the boil??
I had a "something" a while back with some watermelon that turned rank. It was suggested to me that I ought to have pasteurized the watermelon.
The boil will kill any nasties.
Good Luck!!!
Sarah.

Yeah, everything went in the boil. I think I'll bottle it this weekend and try to forget about it as long as I can!
Cheers!

Vanilla, Cinammon, black forest fruits, candied citrus peel, and molasses.

Sounds like an IHOP recipe :)!

The hell with it age it and see what happens You never know what will happen in this crazy world of brewing.

Well bottled it into 6 2l plastic bottles and left it in the dog kennel to forget about it. Racked a gallon of it to secondary where I fed it sugar for a few weeks and then dumped the dregs from two Cantillon gueze's into it along with some Coriander seeds to balance the citrus peel. It's beginning to smell quite good. I almost regret souring it now as I'll have to wait 6 months!

Back