I won 2 oz of goldings hops in a competition...I need an extract recipe suggestion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elpresidente

Reaction score
Hello All,

I recently entered a homebrew judging competition and won some hops. It is about 2 ounces of whole leaf "goldings" hops.

I was just wondering does anyone know a quick and easy recipe I could put together that would utilize these hops?

I was trying to save as much money as I can since I am on a tight budget and was thinking of just buying a little malt extract to use with the hops. I just don't know what a good recipe would be...any suggestions?

The main kicker is that I don't want to buy more than I have to to make this beer. I was thinking of just buying the steeping grains and malt extract or just the malt extract by itself...and the yeast of course.

A brown porter would be good this time of year and it wont cost much. 5 lb LME, 8 oz Chocolate malt and 8 oz crystal 80L with your hops at 60 would make a nice simple one.

That sounds good, I want to have fun with this one since it is kind of thrown together...I think I am about to head off to the homebrew store.

Any tips on how to handle the whole hops? I have the 2 oz bag in the freezer...should it be thawed out at all? Any other tips using them? I have never used whole leaf it has always been pellet hops.

No different, just they soak up more wort. You might want to use a hop bag. I don't. I dump them into the fermenter with all the wort.

Really the only difference is pellets stay fresh better and are about 10% stronger. Pellets have more of the stems removed.

Back