I wish I knew then what I know now.... A list of some lessons learned!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrFugglz

Reaction score
First a disclaimer: I have been home brewing for about 1 year. I started with extract, moved into partial mash, and am on batch 6 of all grain. All in all, I have brewed 50 odd gallons with extract/partial mash and 30 gallons in all grain. I have not had to dump a single batch and 95% of the time I have been really pleased, if not surprised, with what I was able to produced (my friends too!). This is definitely one of the most enjoyable and rewarding hobbies I have ever had.. So, while I am not an expert and do not profess to be one... I started a mental list a while back of things I learned along the way and finally got around to putting them down.

Hopefully, we can get a good thread going for our newer members, I did a couple searches and didn't find anything similar to this.

Getting Started
1) Before you jump in, get a book, heck get several books. Read them, understand the process and the basic science behind brewing beer. If you prefer simple approach, start with The Complete Joy of Home Brewing by Charles Papazian. If you prefer a more technical book, start with How to Brew, by John Palmer. If you prefer a very technical book, I enjoyed Brewing by Michael Lewis and Tom Young.

2) Join a local home brew club, bring a couple 6ers of your favorite brew. Ask if you can join one of them in a brewing session and see their setup. Nothing beats hands on experience or a mentor. You’ll find most people are more than willing to help you get started and share what they have learned.

3) When in doubt, search the appropriate forums here, use a single word to increase the relevancy of the results, I use google to search for entire phrases with better results.... If nothing else, then post a question and you’ll likely get some great advice within a few minutes.

4) Get to know your options for your Local Home Brew Shop (LHBS). Some are great, some are not so great… Stop in, check out the shop, get to know the owner, ask some questions… I have two in my area and frequent both for different reasons. Don't aways trust the crush of their grain!

5) No matter how much you rationalize this, you are NOT saving money. This is a hobby and like all hobbies, it has a cost. The cost of the basic equipment alone would take dozens of brew sessions to recoup the cost, while not even factoring in the time commitment. Do it because you love beer and want to know more about how it is made.

Equipment
1) You can purchase a basic extract equipment kit from several retailers on line or from your LHBS. The LHBS will usually be more expensive than a on-line retailer, but factor in shipping and it may come out the same. Alternatively, you can piece it together yourself if you have the time and save a few more $.

2) I would recommend that one start with extract, then try partial mash, before you make the leap into all grain. 1) it is cheaper and you will be out less $ in equipment if the hobby doesn’t take root and 2) you will gain valuable experience along the way.

3) Two must haves in any setup : 1) Wort Chiller – you can let your wort chill overnight or in an ice bath, both do work with good results. However, you are increasing your chances of infection. 2) Secondary Fermenter – Technically, we typically do not do a secondary fermentation. Simply put, this is another vessel in which you can transfer your beer into and leave behind trub, hot break, hops, yeast cake, etc that will create off flavors. This was the single best thing I did, which improved the quality and clarity of my beer. Sanitize and transfer 5-7 days after your initial yeast pitch, or when the bubbles from your airlock have slowed to every 30-60 seconds. I prefer stainless, glass, and plastic in that order for my fermenters, but better bottles and food grade plastic pales work just as well. However, over time they can scratch, which provides great spots for bacteria to evade your sanitization efforts.

4) Airlock – this is only to allow CO2 (bi-product of fermentation) to escape while keeping out unwanted bacteria and wild yeast, it cannot tell you if fermentation is complete. DO NOT TRUST THE BUBBLES (or lack thereof)!

5) Hydrometer – Measure gravity often, it is the key to understanding where you are in the brewing process… If you are doing a full boil extract beer, I would measure gravity before you start adding hops. If you are doing a partial boil, measure it as you add increments (e.g., ½ - 1 gal) of your top off water. Nothing is worse than a thin beer! If you are post-boil, discard the sample and DO NOT add it back. Hydrometers are fragile and often inaccurate. Calibrate it with distilled water and never put it in boiling wort. I prefer a refractometer.

6) Refreactometer – Uses a fraction of the wort a hydrometer does, often much more accurate, and you can pick up one off eBay for the same price as a hydrometer.

7) When you get new equipment, do a test run with it before you use it for real. For example, I picked up a pump and a plate chiller. I practiced moving water around before I used it in a brew session.

Brew Day
1) Kits are a great way to start. For example, Brewer’s Best makes very simple, easy to read and understand, and provides a list of ALL the ingredients; they usually run $35-45. Some on-line retailers and LHBS sell kits, but will not tell you the ingredients because it is “proprietary”.

2) Start a brew log. Either write everything down, follow the provided directions, or use some software (BeerSmith, Beer Tools Pro, etc.). Document any deviations or corrections. This is the best way to identify ways to improve over time or figure out what you did wrong.

3) Give yourself enough time and don’t start brewing at 8pm at night (I did once and finished at 2am). For extract, from sanitization to clean-up, it would take about 3 hours for me based on my setup. For all grain, this went up to 5-6 hours.

4) For partial mash or all grain, do not start your hops cycle as soon as you reach your boil. Measure your gravity, you may need to boil down a bit to hit your pre-boil gravity target. This will help ensure you end closer to your target gravity without impacting your hops utilization, at the sacrifice of little volume and maybe a darker color (maillard reaction) and some carmelization.

5) For All Grain: Group buys are a GREAT way to cut your ingredient costs by ½! I am now brewing beer for less than $5 a gallon!

6) Boiling removes all oxygen from your wort. As most off flavors are generated during the lag phase (1st phase) of yeast growth, it is important to keep them happy. To do this, you should aerate your wort after it has chilled... If you add oxygen while it is still hot or even warm (100+) you will oxidate your beer, causing off flavors (mostly old cardboard taste). To oxygenate you can do three things: 1) shake or roll it for a few minutes in the carboy 2) Use a aquarium pump, hepa filter, and aeration stone for 15 min or 3) pure oxygen and a aeration stone for 1-2 min.

7) For all grain, dont' trust the crush from a LHBS or on-line retailer. Check out picutres of a good crush or videos on YouTube. You should not have a ton of intact grains. If you crush your own grain, before you start, use a spray bottle to coat the top layer, let it absorb, mix the grain and repeat. Don't over do it. This will help keep the husks whole, the flour down, and help prevent stuck sparges (more intact husks, better flow and less clogging)...

Most importantly, have fun…

Feel free to add anything you learned along the way you wished you knew when you started!

Thanks for the post, I learned and lot. Even though I don't have a clue what stuck sparges are yet :) I'm sure I'll look back one day be glad I read this first :mug:

Great post overall but I disagree with the necessity of a wort chiller and secondary. I and a lot of people on this forum make great beer with the no chill and long primary methods.

Great post overall but I disagree with the necessity of a wort chiller and secondary. I and a lot of people on this forum make great beer with the no chill and long primary methods.

You are absolutely correct.. You can make great beer with other methods and there is no "right" answer. These are my preferences and lessons learned, which are largely based on my setup.

Thanks for the post, I learned and lot. Even though I don't have a clue what stuck sparges are yet :) I'm sure I'll look back one day be glad I read this first :mug:

Sparging is the process for rinsing sugars from grain (all grain method). There are a couple methods to do this (Batch, Fly, etc.). A stuck sparge is when the grains prevent you from draining the water in the mash (grains + hot water). Check the Wiki on this site, it is a wealth of info..

Great read as I am getting ready to jump into this. I have the equipment, have done quite a bit of reading the last couple weeks (here, other sites and my kit came with Papazian's book though I can't stand reading paper books).

Great read as I am getting ready to jump into this. I have the equipment, have done quite a bit of reading the last couple weeks (here, other sites and my kit came with Papazian's book though I can't stand reading paper books).

If you don't want the paperback or want to pay for it.. Here is is basically Jon Palmer's book on-line - http://www.howtobrew.com/sitemap.html

You can also get it on kindle..

+1 on the brew log. We started home brewing about ten years ago, in college to be cheap. We recently re-started home brewing, this time with the intent of making fine beers. One of the things we started doing was keeping a detailed log during brew day. Since we now have a couple beers in the pipeline, and there is a lag between brew day and drinking day the log has helped a bunch.

Good list.

I also would put otgether a brew day checklist, with a way to check each step off so you don't miss anything. Leave a lot of room for notes on it. Times, temps etc.

Spring for the brewing software and even if you are doing a kit you can still plug in the ingredients to see the stats for your brew.

Most of all enjoybyour new hobby/obsession

Interesting tip on spraying down your grains prior to crushing, I just might try that out.

Temperature Control (fermentation and conditioning)- I made good beer before I had it. I make better beer now. Verified by SWMBO. Form not letting it get to hot, keeping it in the 'sweet' fermentation range, to dialing in crash cooling and lagering temps. You can go high-end with freezers and digital temp controllers, or low-end with your fermenter wrapped in wet clothes in a larger bucket with water you add ice to or warm with an aquariium heater.

Like everything you said except your comments about secondary and wort chiller.

Most of us understand that both secondary vs. no secondary have their pluses and minuses but some newbies may not and think they need a secondary, explaining that might help confusion for a newbie reader.
Also wort chillers are nice but not absolutely necessary in my opinion. Especially for someone doing extract partial-boil. If you're boiling to 3 gallons you can top up with 2 gallons of cold water and get to temperature very quickly without a chiller, even for full boils if you don't mind a bunch of manual labour a big ice bath can get temperatures down quickly.
Also temperature control is key as is this tidbit:
Learn the difference between ambient temperature and fermentation temperature.
Ambient temperature- the temperature of the air in the room
Fermentation temperature- the temperature inside the fermentor.

Yeast give off heat during fermentation the fermentation temperature will be higher than ambient, anywhere from 2-10F higher depending on the yeast strain and the phase of fermentation. Yeast ranges given on packages are fermentation temperatures a stick on thermometer or a sanitized probe thermometer inside the fermentor will give you a more accurate reading of the temperature of the yeast.

Nice, I think we've all learned some of these lessons, but the most important one I've learned is to relax, the beer will turn out fine 95% of the time, and if it doesn't you'll probably figure out why pretty quickly. Secondly, if you do make a dumper, don't be frustrated. It happens sometimes. Finally, give your beer time to finish/age. this is the hardest thing to do. we're always excited for a new brew, but drinking it too early can be disappointing. When I got started I was always frustrated that the last 10 beers tasted awesome, way better than the first 40! Build a pipeline. This will help!

Like everything you said except your comments about secondary and wort chiller.

Most of us understand that both secondary vs. no secondary have their pluses and minuses but some newbies may not and think they need a secondary, explaining that might help confusion for a newbie reader.
Also wort chillers are nice but not absolutely necessary in my opinion. Especially for someone doing extract partial-boil. If you're boiling to 3 gallons you can top up with 2 gallons of cold water and get to temperature very quickly without a chiller, even for full boils if you don't mind a bunch of manual labour a big ice bath can get temperatures down quickly.
Also temperature control is key as is this tidbit:
Learn the difference between ambient temperature and fermentation temperature.
Ambient temperature- the temperature of the air in the room
Fermentation temperature- the temperature inside the fermentor.

Yeast give off heat during fermentation the fermentation temperature will be higher than ambient, anywhere from 2-10F higher depending on the yeast strain and the phase of fermentation. Yeast ranges given on packages are fermentation temperatures a stick on thermometer or a sanitized probe thermometer inside the fermentor will give you a more accurate reading of the temperature of the yeast.

Curious to understand what your thoughts on the minuses are for the secondary fermenter. I can think of 1) additional cost for another fermenter + autospihon (makes transfer soo much easier) 2) risk of contamination. The pluses for me significantly outweigh the minuses: 1) Less chance of off flavors due to yeast autolysis, trub, hotbreak, etc. 2) increased clarity of the beer

Agree on your point for wort chiller, you don't need it. This is based on my personal preferences and lessons learned, their not universally applicable.

Curious to understand what your thoughts on the minuses are for the secondary fermenter. I can think of 1) additional cost for another fermenter + autospihon (makes transfer soo much easier) 2) risk of contamination. The pluses for me significantly outweigh the minuses: 1) Less chance of off flavors due to yeast autolysis, trub, hotbreak, etc. 2) increased clarity of the beer
QUOTE]

I don't agree with either of the minuses you suggest. Many people on here (who have been brewing much longer than I) don't secondary at all. Autolysis has been more or less proven to be a very small risk, many people leave their beer on primary for months and months with no off flavors.
Second a long primary can produce just as clear a beer as primary and secondary.

Revvy is the leading expert on here in explaining why long primary is perfectly alrigh so I'll go ahead and quote him here:

There's been a big shift in brewing consciousness in the last few years where many of us believe that yeast is a good thing, and besides just fermenting the beer, that they are fastidious creatures who go back and clean up any by products created by themselves during fermentation, which may lead to off flavors.

Rather than the yeast being the cause of off flavors, it is now looked at by many of us, that they will if left alone actually remove those off flavors, and make for clearer and cleaner tasting beers.

You'll find that a great many folks, maybe even the majority on here these days, leave their beers in primary for 3-4 weeks, skipping secondary. Many of us even dry hop in primary, and only rack to secondary if we are adding oak or fruit, or had fruit in the boil or primary and left lots of trub behind.

Even John Palmer talks about this in How To Bew;

Quote:
Originally Posted by How To Brew
Leaving an ale beer in the primary fermentor for a total of 2-3 weeks (instead of just the one week most canned kits recommend), will provide time for the conditioning reactions and improve the beer. This extra time will also let more sediment settle out before bottling, resulting in a clearer beer and easier pouring. And, three weeks in the primary fermentor is usually not enough time for off-flavors to occur.

This is where the most up to date brewing wisdom and ideas can be found...In fact a lot of stuff has been started on here, and made it into byo or zymurgy or podcasts...in fact BYO DID a piece on no secondary/long primary, along with the BASIC BREWING PODCAST and even they said that there were no issues/harm with doing it and in some beers it did actually improve the flavor and clarity. And I believe that really WAS influenced by the discussion we have had for the last couple years on here.

Great post! I just bottled my first batch and I have learned most of the things you listed, but other things you listed I'm sure will help out in the future.

My buddy and I just did our first batch last night and kept a list of lessons learned.

1 - If you don't like foam in your sanstar, don't add the water to the cleaner. Fill with water then add cleaner. We started with 2 gal water, threw in the sanstar, then topped it off.

2 - If you let the carboy "glug" while pouring out the sanstar, you will create a TON of foam. We know it won't hurt us (checked the forums when it happened) but I'd rather avoid it. The yeast don't need a bubble bath.

3 - If dealing with a syrup malt extract, let the cans sit in a bath of warm water to loosen em up.

4 - As you mentioned, don't start late! We were up until 1 waiting for the temp to drop so we could pitch the yeast even with an ice bath.

So nothing earth-shattering there. Just lessons learned from a couple of noobs. Thanks for sharing yours, we're hoping to avoid as many little gotchas as possible by reading up on the forums.

QUOTE]

I don't agree with either of the minuses you suggest. Many people on here (who have been brewing much longer than I) don't secondary at all. Autolysis has been more or less proven to be a very small risk, many people leave their beer on primary for months and months with no off flavors.
Second a long primary can produce just as clear a beer as primary and secondary.

Revvy is the leading expert on here in explaining why long primary is perfectly alrigh so I'll go ahead and quote him here:

There's been a big shift in brewing consciousness in the last few years where many of us believe that yeast is a good thing, and besides just fermenting the beer, that they are fastidious creatures who go back and clean up any by products created by themselves during fermentation, which may lead to off flavors.

Rather than the yeast being the cause of off flavors, it is now looked at by many of us, that they will if left alone actually remove those off flavors, and make for clearer and cleaner tasting beers.

You'll find that a great many folks, maybe even the majority on here these days, leave their beers in primary for 3-4 weeks, skipping secondary. Many of us even dry hop in primary, and only rack to secondary if we are adding oak or fruit, or had fruit in the boil or primary and left lots of trub behind.

Even John Palmer talks about this in How To Bew;

Quote:
Originally Posted by How To Brew
Leaving an ale beer in the primary fermentor for a total of 2-3 weeks (instead of just the one week most canned kits recommend), will provide time for the conditioning reactions and improve the beer. This extra time will also let more sediment settle out before bottling, resulting in a clearer beer and easier pouring. And, three weeks in the primary fermentor is usually not enough time for off-flavors to occur.

This is where the most up to date brewing wisdom and ideas can be found...In fact a lot of stuff has been started on here, and made it into byo or zymurgy or podcasts...in fact BYO DID a piece on no secondary/long primary, along with the BASIC BREWING PODCAST and even they said that there were no issues/harm with doing it and in some beers it did actually improve the flavor and clarity. And I believe that really WAS influenced by the discussion we have had for the last couple years on here.

Interesting, thanks for the info. I understand your an advocate for the sticking with the primary and you've got some good points to back it up. I am especially interested in the statement on yeast cleaning up their own bi-products and plan to research that topic. As with so many things, there are more than one way of accomplishing a desired outcome. I stopped using my pail after one use, switched to glass carboys, and finally dropped the $ on a conical when the hob-session really took off.

Back