I was thinking...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_Dog

Orange whip?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
... of making an asparagus broccoli home brew what hops should I use??? I need an answer really fast as I am about to boil right now... Here is my recipe:

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 10.00 gal
Boil Size: 12.36 gal
Estimated OG: 1.046 SG
Estimated Color: 6.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 41.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 70 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
15.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 88.24 %
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.88 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5.88 %
1 lb Asparagus
1 lb Broccoli
1 pk American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [Starter Yeast-Ale

sick0006.gif

How'd this one turn out? What hops did you end up using?
I noticed no one actually gave hop suggestions. Sometimes this forum is not serious enough, we think we're too good to add asparagus and broccoli to our beer, so we make sarcastic remarks to cover up our own inadequacies as homebrewers. Its a shame really.

I had some cascade and nugget so I used them. Maybe 30 IBU's. I left the green beans out of the boil (I thought it would to much).

The sample tasted a bit odd, do you guys think adding some raspberry extract will save it? I am pretty sure they have it at the grocery store.

landhoney said:
How'd this one turn out? What hops did you end up using?
I noticed no one actually gave hop suggestions. Sometimes this forum is not serious enough, we think we're too good to add asparagus and broccoli to our beer, so we make sarcastic remarks to cover up our own inadequacies as homebrewers. Its a shame really.

Well, really, I didn't think you guys would need our advice on this one. With the broccoli and asparagus, I would think it would be self- evident that you would use a cascade/amarillo/simcoe combination in order to produce a lemony citrusy tang to complement the vegetables. Also, i would suggest fermenting it with lager yeast so that you have plenty of diacetyl to provide the butter flavor.

I would not recommend the raspberry extract due to the chance of a "fakey" extract flavor as well as the inbalance in the beer this would cause. I would suggest something richer, like maybe chocolate syrup in the secondary. This would provide a little more depth of flavor and residual sweetness without the fake extract.

It's your beer, though, so that's just my very humble opinion.

YooperBrew said:
I would not recommend the raspberry extract due to the chance of a "fakey" extract flavor as well as the inbalance in the beer this would cause. I would suggest something richer, like maybe chocolate syrup in the secondary. This would provide a little more depth of flavor and residual sweetness without the fake extract.

Ah, I like where you're going with the "richness". I think we're all missing the obvious and there should be a crispy bacon addition; probably at 30 mins.

:)

Back