I want to start brewing beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
5-7 pounds of Hopped Pale Malt Extract syrup. (OG of 1.038 - 1.053)
5 gallons of water.
1-2 ounces of Hops (if desired for more hop character)
1 packet of dry Ale yeast, plus 1 packet for back-up.
3/4 cup corn sugar for Priming.

So the extract syrup is basically the sugar and color? And the hops give it the flavor? Or does the hop extract give it some flavor and color since it's extract?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

So I can get a so an so extract kid/with speciality grains. And all the ingredients will be their to do my first batch of beer? I'm finding a lot of yummy sounding ones on northern brewer but of course I will go to my local brew store Tuesday, they close on Sundays and Mondays. I think their around $29+ on northern brewer

Ah so hops are the seasoning. And malt is basically beer sugar instead of adding cane sugar?

Right. Exactly. But if you feel that way about it you may wonder why beer isn't made with just sugar water and yeast? The reason is because when you steep grains you get more than just fermentable sugar; you get unfermentable sugars, tannins, and other delicious things that make beer beer.

Sugar, water and yeast on the otherhand just make rocket fuel...

Haha sorry guys, just busy watching movies with my wife since it's Mother's Day:p but hopefully my local home brew store has 1 gallon extract kits that I can buy for like $12 like on northern brew. Extract kits have everything (ingredients) that I'll need to brew? I have all the tools and 5 gallon bucket and 1 gallon buckets from wine making. I may just get a 5 gallon kit since their not much more and u get 5x more

Haha sorry guys, just busy watching movies with my wife since it's Mother's Day:p but hopefully my local home brew store has 1 gallon extract kits that I can buy for like $12 like on northern brew. Extract kits have everything (ingredients) that I'll need to brew? I have all the tools and 5 gallon bucket and 1 gallon buckets from wine making. I may just get a 5 gallon kit since their not much more and u get 5x more

Most lhbs don't have 1g kits. Thats a NB thing. But good luck!

5 gallons is fine with me then. But does it have all the ingredients that I need to make my first batch?

Oh wow, I'm glad you are helping me, so he used like 10,20 and 80 crystal al, so he was just mixing up some colors?

I mean for simplicity's sake, yes. In a pinch you could just use 10 or just use 20 (add the weights) for example. But I would not just use 40 or something like that because that could have a noticeable impact.

And no problem! Thats the point of forums.

So the 10,20,80 was because he had those left over more than likely? So u add those and it comes to 110?

Or are the numbers different shades of colors and u mix them together am gives u a certain shade of color?

It doesn't quite work that way. You can't mix 40L crystals and 120L crystal and expect to get 80L crystal. The different temperatures of kilning create different compounds providing different flavors. While they might create a similar SRM (color) in the final beer, they can create different color hues, too, so even the color might be off. There may not be a HUGE difference between, say, a 10L and 20L crystal, or a 40L and 60L crystal, but when you get further apart the differences get noticeable. It's not as much as just adding them up.

Basically you've got a few "categories" of specialty grains. You've got the "toasted" malts that provide enhanced "malty" flavors often described as bready, biscuity, or toasty (biscuit malt, victory malt, aromatic malt, etc, would be examples). Most of these should really be mashed (whether that's a small partial mash, or actual all-grain brewing), but you can get away with steeping them.

Then you've got your "crystal malts" aka "caramel malts" (as mentioned above) that provide anywhere from caramel to toffee to dark fruit depending on the malt (the number Crystal malts usually 10L up to 120L or 150L, to Special B to Carapils to Carared to Caramunich).

Then you've got the "roasted" malts. These include black patent, Carafa, chocolate malt, and roasted barley (which is technically unmalted, but that's not really relevant). These provide very dark color, and roasty flavors. The exact character and color depends on the malt . These are often used for porters, stouts, brown ales, and other darker beers, and in some lighter beers in very small amounts for color adjustment.

Then you've got your "adjunct" grains, where flaked oats, flaked rice, wheat malt, flaked wheat, flaked barley, unmalted barley, flaked rice, flaked corn, etc, come in. Most of these require mashing. Once again, you can get away with steeping them, but there's drawbacks to doing so.

Also, extract is notably more expensive than all-grain brewing when it comes to ingredients. However, all-grain is more time intensive, has MUCH more room for error, and requires more equipment. At minimum, you'll need a massive grain bag (a couple bucks) and a larger kettle for BIAB all-grain brewing. Traditional 3 vessel brewing will require substantially more equipment. However, that equipment is pretty much a one time investment, so all-grain works out cheaper in the long run.

With extract brewing, you have two basic ways you can go.

First (and honestly best) is to use only "pale", "light" or ideally "extra light" extract, and then steep the various specialty grains you want to get the flavors you want. The lighter extracts will not provide much character. This way you can tailor the exact flavors you want with specialty grains. Most extract batches will be like this.

The easier way is to use other extracts ("dark" and "amber", usually), which will already have the specialty malts in them. Steepings grains on top of darker extracts is sometimes not a good idea unless you know EXACTLY what went into making that extract. This way is VERY easy. However, you get much less control over the flavor of the beer.

What you're basically going to do is heat up water to about 150-160 degrees. Then you're going to steep any specialty grains (CRUSHED grains, very important, either buy em crushed or have them crush them for you. Most homebrew shops will gladly crush your grains for you. As you progress and start all-grain brewing you'll eventually want to get your own mill, but you don't need it yet) for about 30 minutes in that 150-160 range. You don't want to go any hotter or colder than that.

After steeping, the grains get removed (do NOT boil them), and start heating the resulting wort (the term for sugary pre-beer before you add yeast) until it's boiling (if you're not steeping grains, you can simply bring water straight to a boil). Once it's boiling, take it off the heat (again, very important), stir in half of the extract until it's 100% dissolved, and then bring back to a boil. You'll usually be boiling for either 60 or 90 minutes depending on the recipe, adding hops at whatever times the recipe tells you to, usually an addition at 60 or 90 minutes, and then often one or more additions within the last 20 minutes, and depending on the beer somtimes an addition after you cut the heat, and sometimes an addition later on after the beer has fermented (dry hopping).

Then when there's about 15-20 minutes in the boil left you stop the clock, once again cut the heat, add the rest of your extract, stir until 100% dissolved, bring back to a boil, and restart the clock.

After the boil, chill it down to below 70. Since you'll be topping off with water, getting that top-off water at near-freezing temperature and then adding it will speed that chilling process dramatically. The ice bath mentioned above is also very useful. You can also buy or build a wort chiller. Most brewers eventually start using a wort chiller.

While the wort is chilling, if you're using dry yeast yeast, rehydrate it following manufacturers instructions (basically you'll be boiling a small amount of water, letting it cool to 90-105F - the exact temperature depends on the yeast - adding the dry yeast, and letting it sit for approximately 20-30 minutes to go from a dry power to a creamy slurry). With dry yeast, 1 pack is plenty only if it's rehydrated. Dry yeast that hasn't been rehydrated straight into wort is a bad thing. If you're using liquid yeast, you'll almost always need two packs unless you're making a starter (starters are easy, but until you've done a few batches its safer and easier to just use two packs). Any instructions telling you just to sprinkle dry yeast as is or telling you one pack of liquid yeast is good for a full 5 gallon batch are WRONG and need to be ignored.

Once your wort is at the right temperature, and yeast rehydrated, you'll transfer to the fermenter, top off to the right volume with water (usually 5 gallons, although there are plenty of smaller kits out there to), and either shake the ever loving crap out of it for a few minutes, or buy an aeration system. This will add the necessary oxygen for the yeast. Then pitch your yeast, and stick it somewhere cool. The more you can control the temperature, the better, 75f is too hot, and for an ale below 60F will probably be too cold, the ideal temperature depends on the beer. What matters is the temperature of the beer, not the room, so if you can't control the fermentation temperature directly (if you have an extra fridge and can outfit an aftermarket controller, that will work perfectly, or there's cheaper, just as effective methods you can use as well, although usually higher maintenance. Sear for "swamp cooler" on here), you need to keep the beer somewhere slightly cooler than the fermentation temperature (since fermentation produces heat). A basement will get the job done for most ales, but will probably be too warm for a lager, and too cool for some ales.

Once it's fermenting, let it go for 3-5 weeks before bottling (the timeframe depends on the beer, but usually anything less than 3 weeks is too soon, regardless of what your kit instructions say).

Then you bottle (as indicated above). Heat up your priming sugar in water (boil the solution for 10-15 minutes to sanitize and drive off oxygen), let it cool, add to bottling bucket, and then rack the beer from the fermenter into the bottling bucket on top of the priming sugar. Then I stir gently (NO SPLASHING) to make sure it all gets mixed in evenly. Then from bottling bucket into bottles via spigot, tubing, and bottling wand. You can basically fill the bottle to the top, and when you pull the wand out there'll be a perfect amount of head space left.

When it comes to priming sugar I think that 1 oz per gallon is too much for almost any style, and the 5 oz packet that comes with many kits is definitely too much since you'll lose volume to the yeast cake and usually end up actually bottling 4.5 gallons or so for a 5 gallon batch. Ultimately it's the bottled volume that matters, not the original batch size. I think a priming sugar amount of about 4 oz is pretty good for the average 5 gallon batch of an American styled beer (and many German styles as well). Will net you the general neighborhood of 2.5 volumes of CO2. Some beers will need more (Belgians, Hefeweizens, etc), where others will need less. I brew a lot of English beers, and I usually use a very low 1.6 ounces of priming sugar in a full batch (again, bottling roughly 4.5 gallons) to net me approximately 1.5 volumes of CO2, a nice low carbonation level found in English cask beers. You can tailor carbonation to style, but 2.5 volumes is a pretty good middle ground that can work for almost any style. If you look online, there's plenty of priming sugar calculators out there.

To bring it all full circle, there's a couple main differences between brewing and winemaking:

-Brewing takes substantially longer on brew day. However, beer usually matures faster and the turnaround is usually faster.

-Beer kits are usually cheaper than wine kits.

-Sanitation and cleaning are more important in brewing than they are in winemaking. There's a bunch of reasons behind this. But if you weren't paying much attention to it in your winemaking, you'll need to start.

-Brewing requires a boil. Most wine/mead/cider making does not (with some exceptions).

-Oxidation is not as hazardous in brewing as it is in winemaking. It's still something to be avoided whenever and wherever possible, but beer is slightly more tolerant to oxidation.

-Beer is much more sensitive to light damage. While wine/mead/cider can get some light damage, there's no mistaking the "skunk" character of light damaged beer. Beer needs to be kept out of sunlight whenever and wherever possible.

-Temperature control is much more important with beer than it is with wine. With most styles, better temperature control means better beer. In some cases (definitely with lagers, but with ales too), poor or no temperature control can mean terrible beer. The temperature you need will depend on the beer. Point being, start with ales, as they're easier, and search the forum for "swamp coolers". Those will get your temperature in range right from the start.

-Yeast becomes much more important in brewing. There's differences in wine strains, but in my experience they're nowhere near as important or pronounced as the differences in brewing strains. You'll also need to pay more attention to pitching rate, and to fermentation temperature (as noted above).

-There's a few equipment differences, but not much. They're primarily related to the boiling process, and the bottling process, as beer requires carbonation.

-Packaging beer is different. First, it needs to be carbonated, whether that's bottle or keg. Additionally, you'll need bottles that will hold pressure. Regular wine bottles will not be suitable as they may explode under pressure. Champagne bottles will be fine if you have the ability to cork them. However, they need to be corked like champagne- cork not all the way in the bottle, with enough exposed to allow a cage. Otherwise carbonation will likely blow the cork. But pry-off beer bottles, bottle caps, plus capper will serve you well.

I hope that's helpful.

Wow you like wrote a book for me haha, I read half of it and I'll ready the rest tomorrow at work when I'm not buzzing on this beer.. But I've heard extract kits are great for beginners so we know why is what hands on blah blah blah ten we can get into changing up the hops, crystals, and so on changing colors, flavore,bodies.. So I will go with the extract kits for a few times then go grain. I've been looking on northern brewer on the kits on extract and they look yummy.. Go from the lightest I've seen to almost black! One question I have, the extract kits they arnt like light beers are they? I mean some will be I'm sure but NOT ALL of them are they??

I've been making wine,ciders,and starting meads.. For some quite time now so the basics are here but learning the new terms are new to me it may take a few times of brewing to get it complete where I'm not stressing over it

Wow you like wrote a book for me haha, I read half of it and I'll ready the rest tomorrow at work when I'm not buzzing on this beer.. But I've heard extract kits are great for beginners so we know why is what hands on blah blah blah ten we can get into changing up the hops, crystals, and so on changing colors, flavore,bodies.. So I will go with the extract kits for a few times then go grain. I've been looking on northern brewer on the kits on extract and they look yummy.. Go from the lightest I've seen to almost black! One question I have, the extract kits they arnt like light beers are they? I mean some will be I'm sure but NOT ALL of them are they??

If there's a style of beer, there's a kit for it somewhere. You can get light lager kits. You can get imperial stout kits. And anywhere in between.

Northern Brewer kits will serve you well. Those folks know what they're doing, the price is good, and they get a huge turnaround so their ingredients are fresh. And most of their kits are quite well reviewed. And the kit instructions are usually pretty good. I wouldn't say they're PERFECT (they still usually include some shortcuts that you really shouldn't be taking- underpitching, bottling too soon, and overpriming namely), but they're definitely better than other kit instructions out there.

Buy "The Complete Joy of Home brewing" ~ Charles Papazian. A dog eared worn out book I bought in the 80's is my brewing bible.

It doesn't quite work that way. You can't mix 40L crystals and 120L crystal and expect to get 80L crystal. The different temperatures of kilning create different compounds providing different flavors. While they might create a similar SRM (color) in the final beer, they can create different color hues, too, so even the color might be off. There may not be a HUGE difference between, say, a 10L and 20L crystal, or a 40L and 60L crystal, but when you get further apart the differences get noticeable. It's not as much as just adding them up.

Right, that is why I mentioned the 10L and 20L example... I figured, for a beginner who just wants to make beer that tastes like well... beer, that a basic summary would work. Nice and thorough explanation though.

Yeah I understand, at first I want to do a good beer that my father in law would like and others would like as well.. We drink cores light and cores.. I personally like mickeys and cores golden.. But when we went to his friends house he brews beer.. I remember him saying it was a German.. And another was a pumpkin something.. I like that foam (head) and that sweet but real commercial flavor.. Hard to explain /:

If you like lighter, paler beers, a Blonde Ale is a good place to start. The American style blonde, not the Belgian style. Wheat beers are good too, and very easy to do with extract. I like English Bitters too. I don't know offhand what NB has available.

My local brew store has BSG and best brew brands, can't wait to buy it, it will be in 2 weeks tho /: next paycheck! Ugh

I would suggest not getting a boxed recipe kit, as you don't know how fresh the ingredients are. If your local sells fresh ingredients (grains, extracts, hops) separately, that is the best way to a good beer. If all they have is boxed kits, I'd actually prefer going online to getting a boxed kit from a local shop.

It all depends on turnaround. If your shop sells a whole bunch of kits, there's a good chance they're fresh. However, if the store doesn't sell much and the ingredients have been sitting a while, that's a big step in the wrong direction. I rarely (basically never) brew kits or extract beers, but I don't mind picking up or recommending kits from my local shop only because I know the turnaround is high and the ingredients are fresh. You may be best served sticking online with Northern Brewer where you were already looking, because their ingredients are going to be very fresh.

Yeah mine is fresh, it's the only brew store within an hour... Surprising becaus I love in a big city lol. But yeah he sells a lot.. He sells beer,wine and plant items. All in one. He has a great online store as well.

Can I use plastic beer bottles to carbonize? Like when I add the prime sugar then bottle, will the beer bottles expand and explode because it's plastic?

A lot of folks use PET bottles (basically soda bottles). They're capable of holding pressure, but I've never used them and don't know how much. Presumably as long as you're not overpriming or doing something else wrong to cause too high of a pressure level, PET bottles should be find.

Whitesheperd, Hi, I've been reading these posts and it seems to me that it might be very useful for you to do one of two things - You could check out the address of the nearest local home-brew store (LHBS ) and pop in and chat with the owner or those working there. They can perhaps more easily answer your questions and you can see what the different grains and adjuncts look like.
The other thing you might do is go the the American HomeBrewers Association website. They have really good (IMO) instructions to help beginners and even more experienced brewers. Like others suggested you should also try to get your hands on Palmer's - How to Brew and Papazian's The Joy of Home Brewing. Both contain basic information as well as much more information than you really need at this time.

That said, my suggestion would be to start small with a kit or two (like wine kits) and then progress on to making beer using extracts as the base and then perhaps move on to making beer from whole grains. Now, I am a complete novice when it comes to beer but I have made one beer from whole grains and one beer from extracts and adjuncts and have made one kit and I can say that making beer from whole grains is not any more difficult than making beer from a kit BUT it is far, far more labor intensive and to make five gallons of beer properly from grains and not extracts you really need several LARGE kettles and a really good heat source and a really good method of cooling five or six gallons of wort (the beer) very rapidly. Wine and cider are far more forgiving than beer and far more tolerant of errors you are likely to make. You won't ever scorch your fruit making wine. You won't ever have a boil- over making mead. You won't ever add too much or too little liquid to extract enough of the sugars in your cider.
Now, if you read Palmer and Papazian you can (I think) realize how easy it is to make one gallon versions of five gallon recipes... and that would enable you to try out different recipes and see how different adjunct grains affect color and flavor, how different hops affect the flavor, how different base extracts or grains produce different kinds of beer.

I'll just stick with making a five gallon extract kit, only having to boil in a bag with grains once, and then bring to a boil while adding extracts and storing it. Seems pretty easy rather than grains for my first time :)

Back