I want to save for repitching but...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave the Brewer

Reaction score
I have 5 gallon in my secondary I used Wyeast American Ale 1056. I would like to save it to repitch, but I dry hopped with pellets. When I go to wash the yeast out to jar it, and I have some hop shake in there. Could this become a problem? Other than a hint of cascade in my next brew.....

could be...if it's really a problem you can harvest it. more or less take it to the next step, and then save it. Meaning this: pitch a bit of the yeast into a starter, then step it up a couple times. Let it settle out, then save the yeast. Yuri has a thread about it somewhere. It is critical that you use a yeast nutrient when you do it this way though, as you don't want to stress the yeast out that you will be saving, to prevent much genetic mutation. Otherwise it's like going through another "generation" of growth. I do this with pretty much all my yeast, and I have a nice few hundred mL of pure, nutrient-rich, yeast in 35mL aliquots in my fridge.

:mug:

I think your yeast will be fine. Now if you used a LOT of hops, like for an IIPA, then you might have to "acid" wash the yeast to strip the hops out of the cell walls from the yeast. But there really shouldn't be a problem with reusing the yeast.

Back