I want to get into AG ...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjung

Reaction score
What kind of basic equipment do I need ? I don't have a lot of space for the more elaborate set-up, so I'm thinking more towards the cooler-type mash tun, etc.
Any and all help would be appreciated.

p4ck37p1mp is right on, you really don't need anything else. Best thing you can do is buy some books with plenty of pictures to give you an idea of simple setups and methods and go for it. Once you take the initial step and get past the fear of AG, you'll be a happy brewer. Attention to detail is far more important than lots of equipment in making any beer, be it AG or extract.

Look at the diy sub-section in the equipment section there are lots of illustrated threads on building AG equipment.

You'll need a chiller and an accurate thermometer. I assume you can boil at least 7 gallons as well.

+1. Definately invest in at least one large boil kettle. I recommend 10 Gallons, although you could get away with a little less. If you already have a smaller pot, it will work well for heating strike/sparge water.

Check out this thread for a low-cost way to build a MLT.

Good Luck on your AG conversion, you will enjoy the hobby even more.

My personal advice... is research research research.
It costs $ - depending on what you have.
For example:

Grain mill?
You going to buy bags? Or have the LHS do that for you mill it for you?
Pot? - If you are going to built a MLT and do AG you might want to think about the extra investment and jump to 10 gallon batches at the same time. I got a 15 gal pot and sometime when I do a 90min boil wish I had a 20 gallon pot.
Chiller? If you move to 10 gallons you def need one that works really well. I built myself a pre chiller as well for the hot summer days.
Sparging? You can batch sparge - think about where you are going to collect and where you are going hold your hot water? You might need an extra bucket or another cooler - I person like fly sparging - just a personal thing so I have a cooler up top for my HLT.
2500044333_373e694384.jpg

just throwing it out there. I am so glad I did it. I enjoy the process so much more. But again I would research and decide in your space what kind of setup you want.

I am the type to get frustrated if I do not have the right tools to do a job. So that is my advice... For what it is worth. I have only been brewing about a year.. so I am newb at this ... but I went from 4 extract batches right to 10 gallon AG and very very pleased that I did.

Have you checked out Bobby M vids? You can find his site here. There are plenty of others on here that have great advice do not get me wrong.. but his stuff put me over the top and help me get a handle on what I wanted to do.

And a visit out to Ed's Ranch was extremely helpful in my young days as an AG brewer... He was able to sample my 2nd batch (used his Haus Pale recipe) and he was extremely helpful with points and advice.

I am out.
T$

Your probably not going to be able to boil all grain batches on an electric stove so if that is the case. You will need a propane burner. Cheap Turkey fryer works great for me and cost less than $40 at wal-mart.

So heres the list we have so far.

Cooler Mashtun - $30-50 for all the parts, see the DIY section or there are other guides out there that show an even easier cheaper way although not as fancy.

Chiller - $50-100 Low end if you build yourself, high end if you buy one. Mine is all fancy with connecting pieces between each coil, it cost more but I think it was worth it for me.

Propane burner - $35 at wal mart or maybe Amazon

Acurate thermometer - $?? no idea, i need one myself, I use a $10 wal mart electronic one. It works for me but I doubt its really accurate.

Brew pot - $free if you already have one that will hold at least 7 gallons. It can be done in a slightly smaller pot if you have a second pot. You can boil most of the wort in one and a small amount in another. There are threads you can read with details about that.

So your looking at anywhere from $120-200 or more depending on what you want.

Back