Quantcast

I want to drink beer everyday but I don't want to

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Soulive

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2007
Messages
4,266
Reaction score
27
Location
The Middle of NJ
I don't really know how to put it. I would rather drink beer frequently than water or soda or whatever but I don't want the side effects. I'm not into consuming alcohol every day but I love the taste. I already brew smaller beers to allow me to consume more. The problem is, I'd like to lose some weight and I don't want to be tired all the time (which alcohol does to me). Since there are no good commercial NA beers, how do we feel about NA homebrew? I don't think too many people here have done it, but if you have - how does it taste? If I could drink full-flavored low alcohol beer (< 2%), I'd be very happy. Can you even really know what your ABV is ultimately?
 

Evan!

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 9, 2006
Messages
11,835
Reaction score
104
Location
Charlottesville, VA
Soulive said:
I don't really know how to put it. I would rather drink beer frequently than water or soda or whatever but I don't want the side effects. I'm not into consuming alcohol every day but I love the taste. I already brew smaller beers to allow me to consume more. The problem is, I'd like to lose some weight and I don't want to be tired all the time (which alcohol does to me). Since there are no good commercial NA beers, how do we feel about NA homebrew? I don't think too many people here have done it, but if you have - how does it taste? If I could drink full-flavored low alcohol beer (< 2%), I'd be very happy. Can you even really know what your ABV is ultimately?
You lose a great deal of the hop flavor/aroma when you boil off the alcohol. IIWY, I wouldn't make a habit of it---they end up tasting kind of flat...but they're better than the commercial N/A, so I make it for my dad.

Your ABV can be calculated easily. After about 30 mins at 172-180, the ABV is 0. Then calculate the minuscule amount of alcohol that's produced from the bottle fermentation, and you have your ABV. If you keg it and force carb, it'd effectively be 0.
 

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
24,829
Reaction score
3,500
Location
Whitehouse Station
I know Biermuncher tried to evaporate alcohol out of a batch a while back but I don't recall what the result was. I think the only way to keep consuming is to increase physical activity (which I really need to do).
 
OP
Soulive

Soulive

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2007
Messages
4,266
Reaction score
27
Location
The Middle of NJ
Evan! said:
You lose a great deal of the hop flavor/aroma when you boil off the alcohol. IIWY, I wouldn't make a habit of it---they end up tasting kind of flat...but they're better than the commercial N/A, so I make it for my dad.

Your ABV can be calculated easily. After about 30 mins at 172-180, the ABV is 0. Then calculate the minuscule amount of alcohol that's produced from the bottle fermentation, and you have your ABV. If you keg it and force carb, it'd effectively be 0.
But at those temps you're not really boiling. Does that matter at all? I don't mind the 0%abv but the lack of flavor's not good. Maybe I'm better off pushing the flavor to gravity ratio limits. I wonder how tasty I could make something that's about 2-2.5%...
 

ohiobrewtus

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 1, 2006
Messages
7,762
Reaction score
72
Location
Ohio
Meh, Most days I may have 1 or 2 after dinner and that's about it. If you only have 1 or 2 it doesn't really count :D
 

the_bird

10th-Level Beer Nerd
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
May 21, 2006
Messages
20,968
Reaction score
594
Location
Adams, MA
IIRC, BM had some good success with his controlled boiling. You keg, right? I think that's the only way to be able to make NA "beer" (since you'll kill the yeast). You'll lose some aromatics, but throw some hops in the keg and dry hop to make up the difference.
 

Evan!

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 9, 2006
Messages
11,835
Reaction score
104
Location
Charlottesville, VA
Soulive said:
But at those temps you're not really boiling. I don't mind the 0%abv but the lack of flavor's not good. Maybe I'm better off pushing the flavor to gravity ratio limits. I wonder how tasty I could make something that's about 2-2.5%...
The boiling point of ethyl alcohol is lower than water---about 173.3ºf.

You could stop short of 30 mins or whatever. You could also add hops during the boil-off to preserve some hop flavor. This BYO article has everything you need to know.
 

Beerrific

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2007
Messages
5,537
Reaction score
60
Location
Georgia
Or you could do this to beers that have little to no hop flavor/aroma to begin with. I would think many English-style beers would work well for this.
 
OP
Soulive

Soulive

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2007
Messages
4,266
Reaction score
27
Location
The Middle of NJ
Beerrific said:
Or you could do this to beers that have little to no hop flavor/aroma to begin with. I would think many English-style beers would work well for this.
Everything I brew has some hop flavor. I tend to go above hopping guidelines when it comes to most styles. I guess weizens could be good for that though...
 

the_bird

10th-Level Beer Nerd
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
May 21, 2006
Messages
20,968
Reaction score
594
Location
Adams, MA
I bet you could make a nice dry Irish stout near-beer, the roastiness should withstand the near-boiling. Plus, they start out pretty low in alcohol to begin with. It'd mostly be IPAs that would seem the most problematic.
 

uwjester

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Sep 11, 2007
Messages
684
Reaction score
8
Location
Fort Collins, CO
If you wanted a hoppy beer, why not add hops back at the end of the alcohol boil-off? Better yet, why not wait until then to do aroma and flavor hops in the first place?
 
OP
Soulive

Soulive

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2007
Messages
4,266
Reaction score
27
Location
The Middle of NJ
uwjester said:
If you wanted a hoppy beer, why not add hops back at the end of the alcohol boil-off? Better yet, why not wait until then to do aroma and flavor hops in the first place?
That's an interesting point...
 

blizz81

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2008
Messages
953
Reaction score
326
Location
Omaha, NE
Bobby_M said:
I think the only way to keep consuming is to increase physical activity (which I really need to do).


That's been my conclusion (and my result, to this point).
 

DeathBrewer

Maniacally Malty
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Apr 9, 2007
Messages
21,788
Reaction score
314
Location
Oakland, CA
why not just make some low alcohol beer? i've been making some haus ales and bitters lately so i have something at home in my keg that i can drink to my hearts content. (i took out 5 gallons of an imperial stout in 4 days...that kinda got me thinking after my hangover wore off)
 

cheezydemon

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 13, 2007
Messages
1,917
Reaction score
15
Location
The "Ville"
Can't you just mash grains at like 160 and get little to no alcohol?

I had one brew that was damn near NA due to a bad thermometer. No post fermentation boiling required.
 
OP
Soulive

Soulive

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2007
Messages
4,266
Reaction score
27
Location
The Middle of NJ
DeathBrewer said:
why not just make some low alcohol beer? i've been making some haus ales and bitters lately so i have something at home in my keg that i can drink to my hearts content. (i took out 5 gallons of an imperial stout in 4 days...that kinda got me thinking after my hangover wore off)
Yeah I'll probably go that route. I'm thinking of trying something low in alcohol but high in flavor, if possible...
 

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
24,829
Reaction score
3,500
Location
Whitehouse Station
cheezydemon said:
Can't you just mash grains at like 160 and get little to no alcohol?

I had one brew that was damn near NA due to a bad thermometer. No post fermentation boiling required.
Unfermented wort tastes so bad. No, it's not beer. You get none of the yeast character. I'd much rather start with a 1.035 OG mild and ferment it out. Then you can have one or two extra pints without getting wrecked.

If it's calories you're worried about, not all of it comes from alcohol. It's just the nature of liquid bread.
 

the_bird

10th-Level Beer Nerd
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
May 21, 2006
Messages
20,968
Reaction score
594
Location
Adams, MA
Try a smallish pale ale, mash it high for body. Dry stouts, milds, bitters. It's a challenge, making a beer that's small but tasty. The risk you may face is over-hopping, you'll have to keep your bitterness in check based on your gravity.
 
OP
Soulive

Soulive

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2007
Messages
4,266
Reaction score
27
Location
The Middle of NJ
the_bird said:
Try a smallish pale ale, mash it high for body. Dry stouts, milds, bitters. It's a challenge, making a beer that's small but tasty. The risk you may face is over-hopping, you'll have to keep your bitterness in check based on your gravity.
I hear ya. I'm going to start by scaling down a variation of EdWorts Haus. It looks like this so far...

3.75 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 75.00 %
0.50 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 10.00 %
0.50 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 10.00 %
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 5.00 %
0.20 oz Magnum [12.90 %] (60 min) Hops 10.5 IBU
0.15 oz Centennial [8.50 %] (30 min) Hops 4.0 IBU
0.15 oz Centennial [8.90 %] (15 min) Hops 2.4 IBU
0.25 oz Centennial [8.50 %] (3 min) Hops 1.0 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham Yeast (Lallemand #-) Yeast-Ale

Estimated Original Gravity: 1.024 SG (1.045-1.060 SG)
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.006 SG (1.010-1.015 SG)
Estimated Color: 5.0 SRM (5.0-14.0 SRM)
Bitterness: 17.9 IBU (30.0-50.0 IBU)
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 2.40 %
 

BierMuncher

...My Junk is Ugly...
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Jan 17, 2007
Messages
12,443
Reaction score
914
Location
St. Louis, MO
My neutered Anchor turned out pretty well. More malty and caramely than the original. I enjoyed it, but that was not what I’d call a daily quaffer beer.

If I were to do it again (and I’m toying with the idea), I’d probably do so with my Centennial Ale, since it’s already just under 4% and would require less 2ndary steep time.

I might change up the routine to this though:

Brew the beer normally, but only add my bittering hops additions.
Ferment the beer normally and condition for two weeks.
Rack the beer back to a kettle and bring to 174 and hold for 20-30 minutes.

Add ½ of my normal aroma/flavor hops for the last 20-15 minutes (this temp is very similar to the temp at which you would first wort hop).

Cool beer and rack back to secondary (or keg) and dry hop with remaining flavor/aroma hops.

Chill and force carb to 2.5-2.75 volumes. (I want a crisper, more carbonated beer)

I think doing this with a pilsner malt beer and very light grain bill, will keep the beer fresher tasting.
 

Chriso

Broken Robot Brewing Co.
Joined
Oct 31, 2007
Messages
4,623
Reaction score
87
Location
Someplace
Wait - you mean drinking 6+ drinks a day is a bad thing?

*subscribed* Good thread. I might try this. If the SWMBO rains on my parade, that is.

Until then, pint glass and I have an appointment to keep. Regularly.
 
Top