I want to "brown" my beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tigerface

Reaction score
The expertise in this forum is amazing. Here is another tough question.
What ingredients can one use to "Brown" my beer? Keeping in mind that I am a Celiac and ingredients must be Gluten Free. So, I know about the toasting
of Buckwheat and steeping in my boil. Maybe 8 oz of Mollasses. How about
Dark Candy Sugar? What else is there? :eek:

you can also do the painful process of decoction mashing, I don't know how much darker it would make it, but it basically carmelizes the sugars in the wort and will darken it too. You take out some portion of the mash, raise to boiling, and then pour back into the mash.. Other ideas?

you can also do the painful process of decoction mashing, I don't know how much darker it would make it, but it basically carmelizes the sugars in the wort and will darken it too. You take out some portion of the mash, raise to boiling, and then pour back into the mash.. Other ideas?

Or just do a kettle caramelization--take 1 gallon of the first runnings, boil down to 1/2 gallon or even less if you want more color, and then recombine with the rest of the wort and do your boil as usual.

Back