I want a bench capper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justintoxicated

Reaction score
Due to COVID19, I have been botteling allot more recently. The homebrew clubs I am in all have their own beer exchange drop off locations. Not enough to need a bench capper, but enough to want one (typically I only bottle for competitions, or belgians which use corks).

I guess I just want something to motivate me to bottle. I realize this may be overkill for my needs but I like good quality stuff.

I'm trying to decide between this one (*made in Italy):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q8XGY74/

and this one (*also made in Italy):
https://www.morebeer.com/products/queen-lux-professional-bench-bottle-capper.html
I don't care about the price difference, just which one will give a better experience and last a long time (My wing capper is already 8 years old without issues so pretty much anything is overkill lol).

The first one is all metal, you adjust the base so the lever stays in the same position. There are slots on the back to move the bottle up and down.

Second one just looks like a more traditional but higher quality capper. I can't find any reviews on it :(

Also considering the professional one but honestly it seems like it offers little advantage over the other two, and this one is around $200-$250. The $130-$150 version Deluxe Bench Bottle Capper | MoreBeer looks like it's more difficult to adjust when using different height bottles?

Anyways I'm open to suggestions, right now I'm leaning towards the cheaper one due to it's all metal construction, but the queen lux looks to be decent quality too?

Last edited:
1589483615082.png

I have been using this for about 3 years and really like it. Well made and easy to use. A good solid capper for the price.

I have one you could have cheep. I got it when I bought my first system, used it a couple of times, but now it sits neglected. :mug:

Attachments

• IMG_0241[1].JPG
    IMG_0241[1].JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 18
Ok , since I'm spending your money here ya go lol.

Ferrari Pneumatic Bottle Capper | MoreBeer - Google Shopping - All Products&utm_term=1100311770530&utm_content=Ad Group %231
haha I was looking at that one, like shooting an ant with a bazooka for me. At that point price is starting to matter a bit more. Plus it looks even hard to adjust for different size bottles all of us homebrewers use (not it's intended purpose I think).

Due to COVID19, I have been botteling allot more recently. The homebrew clubs I am in all have their own beer exchange drop off locations. Not enough to need a bench capper, but enough to want one (typically I only bottle for competitions, or belgians which use corks).

I guess I just want something to motivate me to bottle. I realize this may be overkill for my needs but I like good quality stuff.

I'm trying to decide between this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q8XGY74/

and this one:
https://www.morebeer.com/products/queen-lux-professional-bench-bottle-capper.html
I don't care about the price difference, just which one will give a better experience and last a long time (My wing capper is already 8 years old without issues so pretty much anything is overkill lol).

The first one is all metal, you adjust the base so the lever stays in the same position. There are slots on the back to move the bottle up and down.

Second one just looks like a more traditional but higher quality capper. I can't find any reviews on it :(

Also considering the professional one but honestly it seems like it offers little advantage over the other two, and this one is around $200-$250. The $130-$150 version Deluxe Bench Bottle Capper | MoreBeer looks like it's more difficult to adjust when using different height bottles?

Anyways I'm open to suggestions, right now I'm leaning towards the cheaper one due to it's all metal construction, but the queen lux looks to be decent quality too?

I would pass on both and consider a true all steel bench capper Deluxe Bench Bottle Capper | MoreBeer

The Queen Lux head is a molded plastic/fiberglass. The Amazon one looks cheap and I cannot tell if you can adjust to different bottle heights. Consider waiting on MoreBeer's next sale before buying....

I would pass on both and consider a true all steel bench capper Deluxe Bench Bottle Capper | MoreBeer

The Queen Lux head is a molded plastic/fiberglass. The Amazon one looks cheap and I cannot tell if you can adjust to different bottle heights. Consider waiting on MoreBeer's next sale before buying....
The first one is all metal (made in Italy) and you raise and lower the bottle stand rather than the lever (looks like it comes with milled brass bells too). The video shows how it operates and adjusts.

I like the one you linked too, but I'm not sure how hard it is to adjust for different height bottles (it uses a pin, but you have to adjust for the holes in the post as well as the action). (I have heard it's time consuming but super solid once adjusted). The more expensive version is easier to adjust, but there are so many negatives in the review I posted it seems like the first all metal one I linked would actually be easier to use? They both have the negative of being overly expensive in the case of the more adjustable one, and hard to adjust in the cheaper ($130-$150) version?

yea the queen lux has some enforced plastic, but looks easier to adjust than the delux, so I would probably go for easier to use unless it has a known weakpoint like the super agata and other cheaper benchtops with plastic pistons and cast parts etc.

Also the more expensive version of the delux (the professional). Robot Check Actually has plastic parts (the arm and knobs), so I'm not sure the all metal one is actually all metal either. I'm sure it's good enough though, and I love the arm and with the knob (looks like my hornady reloading machine).

Last edited:
The first one is all metal and you raise and lower the bottle stand rather than the lever (looks like it comes with milled brass bells too). The video shows how it operates and adjusts.

I like the one you linked too, but I'm not sure how hard it is to adjust for different height bottles (it uses a pin, but you have to adjust for the holes in the post as well as the action). (I have heard it's time consuming but super solid once adjusted). The more expensive version is easier to adjust, but there are so many negatives in the review I posted it seems like the first all metal one I linked would actually be easier to use? They both have the negative of being overly expensive in the case of the more adjustable one, and hard to adjust in the cheaper ($130-$150) version?

yea the queen lux has some enforced plastic, but looks easier to adjust than the delux, so I would probably go for easier to use unless it has a known weakpoint like the super agata.

LOL, there is a lot of misinformation out there. If you consider seconds to adjust as time consuming, then I do not know what will satisfy that. I suggest you scroll to the bottom of the page on the link and watch the video. It really is ridiculous for people to suggest it is difficult and time consuming to adjust......

It was designed to easily adjust to various bottle heights......

LOL, there is a lot of misinformation out there. If you consider seconds to adjust as time consuming, then I do not know what will satisfy that. I suggest you scroll to the bottom of the page on the link and watch the video. It really is ridiculous for people to suggest it is difficult and time consuming to adjust......

It was designed to easily adjust to various bottle heights......
Your absolutely right looks easy in the video but I don't get it, do you just pull the pin out, it's hard to tell in the video link? What has me concerned is this review (aside from receiving a damaged unit).
https://www.amazon.com/Bottle-Capper-Deluxe-Bench/dp/B074D9F4D9/- plastic bottle guid (no big deal to me, not even sure I would use it)
- but the play between the pole and the action is concerning (buyer is going to fabricate a shim for it?).
I also have not found a video of anyone actually using the thing.

Thus why I was looking at the other two. Queen Lux might have play too for all I know....

Also the more expensive version of the delux (the professional). Robot Check Actually has plastic parts (the arm and knobs), so I'm not sure the all metal one is actually all metal either. I'm sure it's good enough though, and I love the arm and with the knob (looks like my hornady reloading machine).

That is not the same product. But whatever, go with what you are comfortable with and can afford. The Deluxe capper has 48 reviews and the Queen Lux has 2 reviews to help you as well.

That is not the same product. But whatever, go with what you are comfortable with and can afford. The Deluxe capper has 48 reviews and the Queen Lux has 2 reviews to help you as well.
It's not the same thing? It seems allot of these cappers are rebranded under different names, or have different paint jobs on them. The one the reviewer actually received was GRIFO branded and not the red and blue one?

Your absolutely right looks easy in the video but I don't get it, do you just pull the pin out, it's hard to tell in the video link? What has me concerned is this review (aside from receiving a damaged unit).
https://www.amazon.com/Bottle-Capper-Deluxe-Bench/dp/B074D9F4D9/- plastic bottle guid (no big deal to me, not even sure I would use it)
- but the play between the pole and the action is concerning (buyer is going to fabricate a shim for it?).
I also have not found a video of anyone actually using the thing.

Thus why I was looking at the other two. Queen Lux might have play too for all I know....

Again, the 48 other reviews along with my personal experience doesn't support that one review on Amazon. The unit is strong, solid and has no play whatsoever. But, if you are looking for an excuse not to buy it, simply don't. You do not need to justify your choice to anyone here.

I should be bottling in a couple of weeks and I might be able to make a video. It may be difficult since I'm the only one and I move at a fast pace since I'm filling 3-4 bottles staggered. I'll check into it.

Lastly, any purchase from MB carries a 60 day no questions ask guarantee plus a one year warranty.

It's not the same thing? It seems allot of these cappers are rebranded under different names, or have different paint jobs on them. The one the reviewer actually received was GRIFO branded and not the red and blue one?

Correct, height adjust handle/mechanism is different, pole difference, bottler alignment different, head different, base different....... But you can still say they are the same if you want ;)

EDIT: For clarification when I was mentioning the differences above, I was comparing your link from Post #11 https://www.amazon.com/Professional-Heavy-Duty-Bench-Capper/dp/B00LUZ14YU?tag=forumyield-20 to that of MB's Deluxe Bench Bottle Capper | MoreBeer

It seems as if we have been posting past each other...

Last edited:
Again, the 48 other reviews along with my personal experience doesn't support that one review on Amazon. The unit is strong, solid and has no play whatsoever. But, if you are looking for an excuse not to buy it, simply don't. You do not need to justify your choice to anyone here.

I should be bottling in a couple of weeks and I might be able to make a video. It may be difficult since I'm the only one and I move at a fast pace since I'm filling 3-4 bottles staggered. I'll check into it.

Lastly, any purchase from MB carries a 60 day no questions ask guarantee plus a one year warranty.

Correct, height adjust handle/mechanism is different, pole difference, bottler alignment different, head different, base different....... But you can still say they are the same if you want ;)

EDIT: For clarification when I was mentioning the differences above, I was comparing your link from Post #11 Professional Heavy Duty Bench Capper:Amazon:Kitchen & Dining to that of MB's Deluxe Bench Bottle Capper | MoreBeer

It seems as if we have been posting past each other...
Yea I think that is what happened, posting past each other :). It does in fact look like it meets all my requirements, and avoids the negatives in the video review (even those are questionable because there appears to be different versions with different alignment arms).
so now between this one and the one that looks like a water pump in my initial post (the first one with the advertisement for it showing that it only takes 2 fingers of pressure to cap) $. The delux is significantly more, but that is not a major problem / concern. But is it worth the price difference?

is a Stainless bell better than a brass one for capping? Stainless is typically harder, but it has different properties?

Yea I think that is what happened, posting past each other :). It does in fact look like it meets all my requirements, and avoids the negatives in the video review (even those are questionable because there appears to be different versions with different alignment arms).
so now between this one and the one that looks like a water pump in my initial post (the first one with the advertisement for it showing that it only takes 2 fingers of pressure to cap) $. The delux is significantly more, but that is not a major problem / concern. But is it worth the price difference?

is a Stainless bell better than a brass one for capping? Stainless is typically harder, but it has different properties?

I never have heard of anyone using two fingers to cap bottles other than on maybe pseudomatic or electric machines. I have no idea why that would be a marketing item since a hand takes less pressure and there is less wear and tear on your fingers. But I guess to some that might make the difference.

My choice is to buy it once and have it last. I bought a Dillon RL550B over 35 years ago and it is just like new even though it has been used extensively. When I started looking for a bench capper, I wanted something that was strong, solid and would last a lifetime just like my RL550B.

So yes, the extra price I paid was worth it based upon my criteria. But again, I only paid $112.93 because I waited for MB to have a sale.

I have no idea the difference in hardness between stainless and brass........ Below are a few photos I took when I went home for lunch.

Good luck.

IMG_3011.jpg

IMG_3012.jpg

IMG_3013.jpg

I don't imagine there will be sales anytime soon on it with the pandemic, but you never know. It's $135 shipped, but I can have it now :)
The 2 finger thing is just marketing to say it's really easy (some bench cappers require kind of allot of force)

I have the professional version of the Grifo capper (Cast head with stainless base and tower) that I picked up on sale for $175 a couple years ago. I bottle all of my beer with a counter pressure filler, so the capper has seen quite a bit of use. A conservative estimate would be at least 1000 bottles capped. I do not have any experience using any capper other than this one, so I can't tell you how much better it is than the cheaper lever action cappers. So far it has served me well and does produce excellent, repeatable crimps. I have never had a beer oxidate on me or loose carbonation from a subpar crimp. This includes NEIPA's that have spent 6 months in the bottle. This capper is not without faults though:

1. The black plastic bottle positioning arm is completely useless. I'm not sure what the designer was thinking when they came up with this abomination, but this contraption is only capable of lining up a single bottle size correctly. Possibly two, if the line of symmetry that bisects the intersect of the opposing contact surfaces crosses the arc path of the ram twice. This assumes that bottles of this/these particular size(s) even exist.
  2. RUST! Thats right, the ram is made of steel that has been galvanized. This should be fine, but there exists a heavy coil spring inside the ram that rusts. This spring is compressed against the bottle during the capping operation and guided by the interior surfaces of the ram. This causes abrasion of the passive zinc coating and the introduction a large amounts of iron oxide, which ultimately results in rusting of the ram itself. A simple plastic bushing/liner and a corrosion resistant spring would have been a much better choice here. Better yet give the customer a stainless steel ram ffs, they are paying for it.
  3. The surface finish on the tower should have been roughed up via media blasting. The height adjustment lever on the head has to be excessively torqued to stop the head from moving higher on the tower during the capping operation. The lever is approaching the point of being too small to exert the torque needed to effectively clamp the head to the tower. This is due to the surface of the tower being polish/mirror finished. It looks good, but sacrifices quite a bit of function. Some coarse lapping compound between the head and tower might be in order.

The useless bottle positioning arm is something that I have learned to make due without. To tell you the truth, I probably wouldn't even use it if I received one that works correctly today. My method for capping is to hold the bottle with the cap against the ram, then lower the ram until the bottle hits the base. While doing this I focus on getting the bottle's base to contact the capper's base level. It never does this perfectly, but the rubber pad on the capper's base makes up for this. I apply a light crimp that gets the cap centered on the bottle's mouth and secure enough for the next step. I then rest the base of the bottle against the base of the capper and lower the ram. The bottle can now be positioned to receive its full crimp with near perfect alignment with the ram. At a cost of $200-250, I can't recommend getting the pro version over the deluxe version. The deluxe version appears to have a better bottle positioning arm, however it has the same ram, which more than likely means rust. The square tube construction might mean some wobble in the head during the capping operation, this could easily be remedied with some shims between the head and tower. If you do end up going with a Grifo, make sure to clean any rust from the interior surfaces of the ram and spring. A coating of grease should keep the rust at bay.

I have the professional version of the Grifo capper (Cast head with stainless base and tower) that I picked up on sale for $175 a couple years ago. I bottle all of my beer with a counter pressure filler, so the capper has seen quite a bit of use. A conservative estimate would be at least 1000 bottles capped. I do not have any experience using any capper other than this one, so I can't tell you how much better it is than the cheaper lever action cappers. So far it has served me well and does produce excellent, repeatable crimps. I have never had a beer oxidate on me or loose carbonation from a subpar crimp. This includes NEIPA's that have spent 6 months in the bottle. This capper is not without faults though:

1. The black plastic bottle positioning arm is completely useless. I'm not sure what the designer was thinking when they came up with this abomination, but this contraption is only capable of lining up a single bottle size correctly. Possibly two, if the line of symmetry that bisects the intersect of the opposing contact surfaces crosses the arc path of the ram twice. This assumes that bottles of this/these particular size(s) even exist.
  2. RUST! Thats right, the ram is made of steel that has been galvanized. This should be fine, but there exists a heavy coil spring inside the ram that rusts. This spring is compressed against the bottle during the capping operation and guided by the interior surfaces of the ram. This causes abrasion of the passive zinc coating and the introduction a large amounts of iron oxide, which ultimately results in rusting of the ram itself. A simple plastic bushing/liner and a corrosion resistant spring would have been a much better choice here. Better yet give the customer a stainless steel ram ffs, they are paying for it.
  3. The surface finish on the tower should have been roughed up via media blasting. The height adjustment lever on the head has to be excessively torqued to stop the head from moving higher on the tower during the capping operation. The lever is approaching the point of being too small to exert the torque needed to effectively clamp the head to the tower. This is due to the surface of the tower being polish/mirror finished. It looks good, but sacrifices quite a bit of function. Some coarse lapping compound between the head and tower might be in order.

The useless bottle positioning arm is something that I have learned to make due without. To tell you the truth, I probably wouldn't even use it if I received one that works correctly today. My method for capping is to hold the bottle with the cap against the ram, then lower the ram until the bottle hits the base. While doing this I focus on getting the bottle's base to contact the capper's base level. It never does this perfectly, but the rubber pad on the capper's base makes up for this. I apply a light crimp that gets the cap centered on the bottle's mouth and secure enough for the next step. I then rest the base of the bottle against the base of the capper and lower the ram. The bottle can now be positioned to receive its full crimp with near perfect alignment with the ram. At a cost of $200-250, I can't recommend getting the pro version over the deluxe version. The deluxe version appears to have a better bottle positioning arm, however it has the same ram, which more than likely means rust. The square tube construction might mean some wobble in the head during the capping operation, this could easily be remedied with some shims between the head and tower. If you do end up going with a Grifo, make sure to clean any rust from the interior surfaces of the ram and spring. A coating of grease should keep the rust at bay.

Those issues with the professional version must be frustrating. :( I haven't experienced any of those issues with the Deluxe version as the positioning arm aligns up, there is absolutely no wobble at all ~ strong as anything and absolutely no rust. To be fair on the last rust issue, I'm in AZ where we have dry heat ~ this time of the year the humidity is roughly 14%. Plus, even when the humidity goes up, the AC draws out the humidity.

Good advice about using a coat of grease on the ram. I regularily oil my RL550B and that is why it has held up for over 35 years. That brings up another recommendation.....you should use canola oil or some other vegetable and lightly apply it to the inside of the capping head before you start capping. Depending upon how many bottles you cap at a time, you may have to apply a thin coat of the oil more than once.

So I found this guy on CL for $35.
View attachment 680754

Bonus the guy was super cool and gave me all these Homebrew books too!

View attachment 680755

Nice find!!! So do you now understand how strong and sturdy it is, how easy it is to adjust the height and how the ram operates and actually gives you more more flexibility on adjustments?

Good find! And all those books too!!! 👍

Nice find!!! So do you now understand how strong and sturdy it is, how easy it is to adjust the height and how the ram operates and actually gives you more more flexibility on adjustments?

Good find! And all those books too!!! 👍
Well, it looks slightly harder to adjust for my eclectic bottle collection (have to unscrew the knob, rather than just tilt the bottle base) but I'll have to see how difficult it really is when I go to use it (it might have more throw than the other one). I Lysol wiped it down and will quarantine it for a few days (same for the books). I actually just purchased Brew like a Monk last week so that will be going back to amazon (so I guess it's like I only paid $20 for it, since I had purchased that already!). As for the quality, the top of the square tubing is cut a little funky so the plastic cap isn't flush (you can see it in the picture I think). The bottle alignment arm is plastic and on mine the shaft if crooked (i'll try to straighten it out). But hey for $20 or $35 or whatever I'm not complaining. It does appear to be very sturdy, not sure if the bell is cast or machined but I think it will last my a lifetime either way.

I'm excited to try it out, now I just need to get make more beer to use it (The Belgian blond in the fermenter will mostly get corked and caged, but I have some capable Belgian bottles I can play with too.

I also bought an unopened 32oz Starsan bottle from the guy for $15. I think he is moving and just wanted to get rid of stuff quickly.

I used this for the first time with my eclectic collection of belgian bottles. The capper quality itself is so/so. It's built like a tank no doubt but the machining looks worse than a russian mosin nagant. I took it apart because the handle binds up a bit on the way back up (nothing critical, but enough that it is not "smooth" and won't retract all the way on it's own based if your gentle on the release).
Here is a picture, the grease is not what makes it look ruff, it actually looks like it was chiseled out by hand (note the really ruff machining to the right side where it looks like waves). The splines are not smooth.

capper.jpg

Operation would be great, but was difficult to adjust with every bottle I was using being a different size in this instance. Adjustment isn't hard but it's not "fast" since you have to unscrew the thumbscrew, then kind of guess where it is going to need to go next. I assume this gets easier, or maybe there is some way to mark it where the head should be relative to the top of the bottle (the other capper I was interested in you can do this, but it adjusts differently, the one where you just tilt the bottle holder and line up the mark). The bottle alignment thing was also not useful for different sized bottles, and the plastic v falls off the post very easily (I don't know why it's not one piece, maybe i will glue it in place). So a couple minor nit picks.

Anyways I don't mean to complain, for $35 it's amazing, I get a perfect cap every time and it feels great as it caps the bottle, no need to rotate the bottle and cap again like some other cappers, and no problem releasing from the cap. It will last a lifetime (which is allot more important than the machining). Usually most of my bottles are a similar size, and this wouldn't need to be tinkered with so much making for a much more fun and stream lined bottling day than a sing capper will ever provide. No worries on the caps not being on the bottle either, seems like it puts a very uniform seal, which may help for aging big beers in bottles. It gets my approval despite my not picks.

I used this for the first time with my eclectic collection of belgian bottles. The capper quality itself is so/so. It's built like a tank no doubt but the machining looks worse than a russian mosin nagant. I took it apart because the handle binds up a bit on the way back up (nothing critical, but enough that it is not "smooth" and won't retract all the way on it's own based if your gentle on the release).
Here is a picture, the grease is not what makes it look ruff, it actually looks like it was chiseled out by hand (note the really ruff machining to the right side where it looks like waves). The splines are not smooth.

View attachment 685263

Operation would be great, but was difficult to adjust with every bottle I was using being a different size in this instance. Adjustment isn't hard but it's not "fast" since you have to unscrew the thumbscrew, then kind of guess where it is going to need to go next. I assume this gets easier, or maybe there is some way to mark it where the head should be relative to the top of the bottle (the other capper I was interested in you can do this, but it adjusts differently, the one where you just tilt the bottle holder and line up the mark). The bottle alignment thing was also not useful for different sized bottles, and the plastic v falls off the post very easily (I don't know why it's not one piece, maybe i will glue it in place). So a couple minor nit picks.

Anyways I don't mean to complain, for $35 it's amazing, I get a perfect cap every time and it feels great as it caps the bottle, no need to rotate the bottle and cap again like some other cappers, and no problem releasing from the cap. It will last a lifetime (which is allot more important than the machining). Usually most of my bottles are a similar size, and this wouldn't need to be tinkered with so much making for a much more fun and stream lined bottling day than a sing capper will ever provide. No worries on the caps not being on the bottle either, seems like it puts a very uniform seal, which may help for aging big beers in bottles. It gets my approval despite my not picks.

Well, all of my 12oz bottles are of the same size so there is no need for me to adjust for different bottles. I'm curious if the bottles were a different height by say one inch, wouldn't the capper work at the same setup since the capper "spring ram" is 2-3" in height? My "V" plastic bottle alignment is one piece that has a set bolt to keep it in place. It sounds like your "V" is capable of coming off the stem itself? Weird if that is the case.

I would think with time, you will have an idea of where each index set bolt height should be for each different size bottles you are using. Maybe when you have built up enough bottles of the same kind for a single batch, it will be a lot easier. But if you know what the index should be, it should take less than 30 seconds to move to the desired height.....

You are separating your bottles by height and type before you start capping so that you are capping all the same type at a time, correct?

Well, all of my 12oz bottles are of the same size so there is no need for me to adjust for different bottles. I'm curious if the bottles were a different height by say one inch, wouldn't the capper work at the same setup since the capper "spring ram" is 2-3" in height? My "V" plastic bottle alignment is one piece that has a set bolt to keep it in place. It sounds like your "V" is capable of coming off the stem itself? Weird if that is the case.

I would think with time, you will have an idea of where each index set bolt height should be for each different size bottles you are using. Maybe when you have built up enough bottles of the same kind for a single batch, it will be a lot easier. But if you know what the index should be, it should take less than 30 seconds to move to the desired height.....

You are separating your bottles by height and type before you start capping so that you are capping all the same type at a time, correct?
Well I had many different Belgian bottles, 500's 375's 12oz and 750's, I needed to be sure some smaller ones were filled for competitions and if there was enough, more small bottles after. Then of course I was bottling from some other kegs too, which means more different bottles, easier to change bottle sizes than switch the beer gun to another keg.

Back