I use D47 for all my non-beer brewing, is it worth trying other strains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TkmLinus

Reaction score
Lately my go to yeast for all my non beer brewing has been D47. I like that it is cheap and I get (IMO) good results. Just wondering, is it worth branching out to other yeasts? If so what strains should I try? My only complaint with the D47 is that I do get rhino farts from my wines from time to time, but that goes away with age. My non-beer brewing consists of apple cider, fruit wines(strawberry, muscadine, apple, blackberry, etc.), and mead. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Nottingham was my go-to cider yeast for a long time. I decided to try some other strains for a few batches. Then I went back to Nottingham. Tapped that keg yesterday, and it's as good as I remember.

This thread might be useful, too.

Just starting out, but D-47 has become my go to as well for cider. I've had good luck with 71B for my two batches of mead. I currently have a side by side cider comparison using D-47 and Cider House Select Cider yeast. They are now in secondary. Upon racking the Cider House Select had strong Rhino farts. D-47 did not. D-47 also had a better flavor, IMO.

Yes other strains are absolutely worth trying.
Last season I fermented several batches of cider w Imperial Napoleon which is a Belgian saison strain. I’ve been really impressed with it so far- they’re still in glass carboys waiting to be kegged.
It brings variety to my cider. I’ll still use a more traditional cider strain in half of my batches.

Back