I think my regulator is broken

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nukebrewer

Brew the brew!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I got the deluxe two keg starter kegging kit from kegconnection.com fairly recently. On one of the regulators, I've noticed that no matter where I set the set screw (even fully backed out with no keg connected), it will slowly pressurize to 20 lbs, but obviously higher if I turn the set screw past the 20 lbs point. My guess is that the diaphragm (or whatever it is in there that controls pressure) is getting stuck at 20 lbs when coming off the pressure or there is a hole in the diaphragm (if indeed it is a diaphragm in there). Is there any way to find out what is causing the problem and if so, could one rebuild the regulator if need be or should I just get a new one? Thanks.

-AJ

i would open it up and see if some crap has gotten in there between the diaphram and body or in the needle area. its real easy to open up.. 4 screws for cornelius, a big hex to unscrew the front on the rest. remove from tank first or shut off co2 supply and purge body prior to opening it.. or you might be surprised by a blast and drop the parts.

Unfortunately, that didn't work. There are no holes in the diaphragm and nothing is obstructing it in any way. Oh well, I guess I am down to one keg at a time until I can figure out what's wrong or get a new regulator. Thanks for the advice.

if it is still open, with the diaphragm out, connect it to the tank, and turn tank on. gauge should remain at 0 and no co2 will be escaping the center needle valve. if it is leaking, then a rebuild sounds to be in order. based on the brand and if it is a primary or secondary, it will cost about $15.

I already put it back together, but I will certainly give that a try when I get home from work tomorrow. My LHBS (the only one on the island) will be closed until the 11th and by that time I will be underway for 3 weeks. I would really like to get a second keg on CO2 before I leave. Thanks for the suggestion.

Make sure the big spring is seated properly. Pressure goes up as the front screw pushes on the spring, the spring pushes on the diaphragm, the diaphragm pushes on the needle valve. If it's not seated in the reg, it can't be backed out far enough.

Latest posts

Back