I think my cider is ruined... advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tristan

Reaction score
So, I have discussed my current batch on here, every seemed to think I was on the right track.

About 3 weeks ago, I racked. Now, I was in a hurry, but I cleaned everything before hand. I thought.

Tuesday I went to the basement to switch laundry, and wandered over to the bench to take a look at the cider. I see what looks like small white spots on it, and more worringly, what appears to be a film growing on top of the cider.

"Maybe", I said to myself, "It's just dust. Yeah. Some dust or something."

Yesterday I checked again, and the film appears to be bigger.

I think I rushed through sterilizing the carboy, and screwed myself.

A friend says I should just rack off, taking care to not get the funky stuff on top. I don't know about that, so I figured I'd come see what you fine folks thought.

sounds like mold. I'd crush a campden tablet and dissolve in some water and rack the cider into it in a new carboy or jug. I'd keep the tip of the siphon under the mold and leave any questionable parts behind. It should be ok if you get to it soon.

Alright, I did as suggested, and so far all seems well...

Since I had originally started this in February, I believe that fermentation is done. Will it continue to age after being trated the Campden tablets?

I tasted it while racking, and it tasted fine, though with a bit of a bitter aftertaste.

So I let it sit until around October and bottle? That was my original timeframe.

(I want the jug cleared out by the time the local orchard starts selling...)

When I made a batch of EdWort's Apfelwein, there were small white patches on the surface which under dim light looked like mold. After closer inspection it turns out there were just bubbles.

Tristan said:
Alright, I did as suggested, and so far all seems well...

Since I had originally started this in February, I believe that fermentation is done. Will it continue to age after being trated the Campden tablets?

So I let it sit until around October and bottle? That was my original timeframe.

That's what I would do. I use campden tablets every other racking on wines that I'm planning on aging a bit. It actually helps the aging process in a way, as it helps prevent oxidation and wild yeasts from taking old. If you get some sediment, you can rack off of it. I usually rack about every 45 days on wines that need it. Otherwise, bulk aging is what you are doing, and that's fine!

Back