I think my beer got too warm during a diacetyl rest. How bad is it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hufcat05

Reaction score
So, uh... I sort of built this automatic heating rig using a tilt bluetooth thermometer/hydrometer, google app script and IFTTT connected to a Wink smart power strip which has a 40W heating element plugged in.

Basically, I do an internet and it automatically turns the heater on an off to maintain whatever temp I want.

It worked perfectly through fermentation and my beer ripped through and stopped at 1.008. Cool. I let it sit for another week and then slowly used my rig to warm the beer up from fermentation temp (65 degrees) to a nice diacetyl rest temp (72 degrees).

Well, my internet goofed and the app crashed right after turning the heater on and it has been on for the last 36 hours. I just caught it and shut it down remotely.

I'm at work and don't have a current temperature on the beer, but for worst case scenario's sake, I'm betting it may have gone above 80 degrees. So, my newb question is, how bad did my internet ruin my beer?

Eh, not a big deal. The only thing your are really doing by raising the temp is to make sure the yeast finish off cleanly.

I think your practice is off.
You say your fermentation was at 65 deg which is an ale temp.
Ales don't need a diacetyl rest...they were fermented at diacetyl rest temps.

Only ales fermented at lager temps (50 deg or so) need a diacetyl rest.

So....If you brewed an ale at 65 and reached FG THEN the beer warmed up you should be fine.
Bring it back down to 65 or even start a cold crash...its probably ready for it...Brew on.

Good to know. I've done a 72 degree diacetyl rest on every single one of my ales thus far. 2 weeks at yeast optimal temp, 1 week at 72 degrees, bottle.

You didn't ruin it, most likely. I've done this in the past by accident with no huge off flqavors created. your yeast for the most part has now done its job so temp swings have a lesser effect than early in fermentation.

One thing to keep in mind is to look up a dissolved CO2 calculator online. The higher temps would have caused more off gassing so you are starting with a lower level of dissolved CO2 and may need to compensate a little bit with extra priming sugar to get to the correct carbonating levels.

So... I got home and the beer was at 95 degrees. Still ok? Or is this completely destroyed?

nope, still okay,

or it's worth finding out. i would follow your normal procedures, once you have it back down to 70. The yeast should be fine as well and prime as normal. over 100 i might consider adding yeast, but below that I think you are perfectly fine.

I am laughing thinking what you will do if this beer is the best beer you have made so far. will you bring every beer up to 95?

Back