I think I screwed up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vheckers

Reaction score
So I'm new here and still new to brewing in general, I've been looking for information that confirms my suspicion of my screw up. So I was taking a mead and moving it to secondary today and planning to add fruit, been about a month and a half aiming high at 18% but it got stuck so I repitched more yeast to get it going again, and added the fruit anyway since I dont have the space to store the fruit. Part of this fruit was some frozen blackberries I had thawed in the fridge along with fresh fruit. In my haste to get it back under airlock and prevent my dogs from getting hair in the brew I failed to notice that my thawed blackberries had molded. My wife is the one who caught this but I had already dumped the juice from the thawing berries into the fermenter with the now 10%ish mead. Will this juice from the fuzzy blackberries have made my batch unsafe to drink? The mold did not form in the brew, it was outside of it then added in.

You should pasteurize, or at a minimum ought to blanch anything you add to the fermenter. Having come from the freezer, that mold may be inert.

Back