I think I screwed the pooch...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meadrol

Reaction score
Before I start, let me say don't EVER mess with pitching your mead when you're tired.

I started this batch yesterday evening (1 gallon), wound up about 1.5 gallons after adjusting my SG to 1.120. I rehydrated my yeast (K1V-1116) per instructions and before pitching, I aerated the poo out of my must with the lees stirrer. So far so good...but then (oh, this pisses me off) instead of adding one GRAM of yeast energizer and one GRAM of yeast nutrient I added one TSP of each. Needless to say, my batch isn't fermenting yet (LOL) and is still sitting at 1.120 SG. Dammit! Is there any way to save this thing?

patience, some yst take at least 24 hrs to get going....but someone else who know more will likely be able to help

Absolutely nothing to worry about. Other than I would have only added half a tsp of nutrient......

Actually, if its 24 hours since pitching, then aerate it again.....

I wouldn't panic, you basically set yourself up to do step feeding, like fb said, give it a good stir, when it starts to get good and active go for a second feeding.

Oh well that's cool, then; I was afraid that too much nutrient at the start would keep the yeast from fermenting. I was planning to give it some more at around 1.075...thanks, y'all.

Of course, like most newbies I suffered from Mother Hen Syndrome; checked SG this morning and it was at 1.080...bubbling away nicely now.

I just hope there's no carrots sitting at the bottom...my zen will evaporate quickly :mug:

Wow, this isn't going to take long to get down to 1.010...this morning it was at 1.080, about 6 hours later it's down to 1.060.

My dog is looking really relieved right now....I don't think I'm her type. I done did that there mead mah seff (redneck speak is taught in the Texas school system).

Back