I think I messed up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nimo23

Reaction score
Brewing from a Brewer's Best kit, Falconer's Flight Extra IPA.

I cooked my batch on 2/6. During the hop addition, I messed up and added all the hops in with the wort boil, instead of reserving 2 oz. for dry hopping as instructed. No big deal, I pitched yeast and went out and bought another 2 oz. to dry hop. OG logged at 1.079.

All was going as planned . . . the airlock started bubbling actively after about 18 hours, and this continued for about 6 days, when it slowed down a bit. It was still bubbling, but not nearly as frequently as a couple days prior.

So, I racked into secondary fermentation on 2/13, and added the remaining 2 oz of hops. And since I did this, the airlock has had zero activity, and here is my beer (pictured below) . . . . still very "muddy" looking. I fear that I pulled out of primary too soon, and stopped fermentation before it was ready. SG reading is currently at 1.020, which is just above the target range (1.016-1.019). I guess I thought the beer would clear up a bit, but maybe it just won't.

Thoughts? Is fermentation still happening, or did I kill it by moving the beer? Do I pitch more yeast? Am I totally over thinking this?

cameraroll-1329318313.926326.jpg

Over thinking it. as they say, RDWHAHB. Check the FG again in a few days to see if it went down anymore. there is a nice layer or krausen on top, so itd be safe to say something is happening in there. Give it a few days it should clear up. if not, ive heard of people using fermcap i think it is to help clear it up. Someone else can chime in further on that.

RDWHAHB

Racking it dosent stop fermentation. The secondary should be longer than primary. It will clear give it some time, don't pitch more yeast, just ignore it for another week or two and all will be fine!

The only issue with your hop aditions is it will be more bitter than you planned, not really a problem.

There is a nice layer or krausen on top, so itd be safe to say something is happening in there.

I think those are dry hops...

Fermentation is likely finished, but you should check it for 2-3 days in a row, if there is no change then your fermentation is done.

You want fermentation to be finished when you rack to secondary. Secondary is really just to clear the beer (and dry hop, or add other flavors). More than likely when you racked your beer over your sucked up some of the yeast and clouded up your beer slightly.

Give it a week or so in the secondary and it should clear.

Relax.

It sounds perfectly normal to me. Your main fermentation was probably done around the time you transferred it. It will take some time to clear. There's still some work going on with the yeast still in suspension - that's a big beer you have there.

1.020 is really close to 1.019 so that doesn't sound too bad (not knowing the recipe).

It will start to clear so give it some time in the secondary before you bottle - maybe 10 days or so. It won't hurt it.

Also, because a big beer like that will need some time to mellow a bit - don't drink it all in the first week. Save some for six weeks from now.

The only issue with your hop aditions is it will be more bitter than you planned, not really a problem.

Yeah, I'm fine with the extra bitterness. I made that mistake, but am prepared (and eager) to deal with those consequences.

Thanks for the input from both of you. I thought this was the case, but then I started getting paranoid. Looks like it's time to head to my LHBS for my next brew so I stop obsessing about this one!

Yeah, I'm fine with the extra bitterness. I made that mistake, but am prepared (and eager) to deal with those consequences.

Thanks for the input from both of you. I thought this was the case, but then I started getting paranoid. Looks like it's time to head to my LHBS for my next brew so I stop obsessing about this one!

+1.... that sounds like a perfect plan! I should go to so I dont have to worry about yours either :mug:

Thanks everyone! I'm excited again for this beer, I'll definitely stash a sixer in the basement for a few months from bottling day to see how it develops over some time.

Mine usually gwet good at 5 weeks,so that's close. But I urge you to make sure you have a stable FG before you transfer next time. It's usually pretty clear,or slightly misty by then. Too cloudy,& the settling yeast will have the hop oils cling to them as they settle. Not a good thing. Mine are better when I wait till the beer is clear or nearly so to dry hop.

Back