I think i messed up my brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtr6188

Reaction score
So i brewed a Amber ale from midwest supplies. It turned out great. I brewed a Hop Scare IPA Kit from them. I left it for 1 week in the primary, 2 weeks in the secondary. Then bottled. Bottle Conditioned for 2 weeks. I tried the first beer today. It was so sweet. It was crazy. The gravity was perfect when i bottled it. And the beer is carbonated. What can cause this? One thing i did do, is when bottling i used 22oz bombers, and i had alittle bit of beer left in the bottling bucket underneath the valve, so i used a funnel and filled up a 12oz bottle. Is it possible that alot of the priming sugar settled to the bottom underneath the valve and thats why this one is sweet? i want to try another one and see if thats the case but i dont know. This is only my second brew.

Well, i added the priming sugar solution to the bottling bucket, added the beer, than stirred gently.

It might still be a little green. It will change in the bottle. I did a Surly Bitter clone that tasted like marmalade two weeks in the bottle. Another two weeks go by and the marmade flavor faded and tasted like a bitter. (I was disappointed). I like IPAs. Most of mine are sweet when the are green and the settle in to have more balance.

And it says to conditon for 2 to 4 weeks. But even so, i don think it should be as sweet as it was. I felt like i was drinking Kool aid.

Recipe includes: 6 lb. Briess Gold Liquid extract, 2 lb. Light dried malt extract, 1 lb. Caravienne grain, .75 oz Magnum (Yakima/US), 1 oz. Amarillo, 2 oz. Cascade hops. The American Ale II or White Labs California Ale V yeast bring a slightly fruity flavor to the party and a malty finish balances the hop bitterness perfectly.
Do you think that maybe you are tasting the fruitiness of the yeast and maybe some of the hop flavors before they have faded? If the gravity was perfect and it was carbonated I don't think it was a priming solution problem. Give it a week try it again.

Back