I think I killed the yeast. Could I just add more?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

largekeaton

Reaction score
Hello! I'm new to all this. If you guys wouldn't mind, I'd really appreciate some help.

I'm testing out whatever brewing skills I may have by attempting to make wine using a gallon jug. But I proofed the yeast really hot on accident and it stopped foaming once it hit that point and turned into liquid. I poured it in, but unfortunately think it's dead since no fermentation (not one bubble) has occurred the past couple hours.

Flavor aside, could I just add new, live yeast to the batch? I don't want to waste the ingredients I put into it the mixture.

tl;dr - Could I add new (live) yeast to a batch that has dead yeast in it?

Thanks!

While I'm not much into wine, I suspect you'll get two answers. Yes you can re-pitch and you might want to wait and see. Not sure what temp you hit the yeast with but they could be a little slow out of the gate as a result. Sometimes it takes a day or longer for you to start seeing activity.

I would give it 24 hours at least before worrying. If after that time you still are not seeing any activity, go ahead and pitch another pack. Normally, it can take 24 to 48 hours to start seeing a kreusen, and an airlock is a very poor "fermentation guage". However, since you are confident you killed your original yeast, it won't hurt a thing to pitch another pack as far as I know.
Like beerandloathinginaustin (dang, can't you find a longer username? :D ) said, I don't do much wine either, so I can only relate beer experience.

Hello! I'm new to all this. If you guys wouldn't mind, I'd really appreciate some help.

I'm testing out whatever brewing skills I may have by attempting to make wine using a gallon jug. But I proofed the yeast really hot on accident and it stopped foaming once it hit that point and turned into liquid. I poured it in, but unfortunately think it's dead since no fermentation (not one bubble) has occurred the past couple hours.

Flavor aside, could I just add new, live yeast to the batch? I don't want to waste the ingredients I put into it the mixture.

tl;dr - Could I add new (live) yeast to a batch that has dead yeast in it?

Thanks!

Might want to start there...how did you "proof" the yeast? In general this isn't something you do with brewing yeast.

How hot is "really hot"?

If we're talking 110F or cooler, then you are probably just worrying prematurely. If it was 130F or hotter, your yeast is probably dead. In between, it's hard to say.

Thanks for all the responses guys! You guys have proven to be incredibly helpful and generous. Especially for a newbie like me.

Alright. It's been about 24 hours. I actually think it may not be dead. Well, pretty much sure now. I see tiny bubbles gathering in certain spots around the mixture. Especially close to the bottom. And then, well, at the bottom I see this kind of solid layer. I guess that's just the yeast.

Oh. I'm doing this in a gallon water jug with a balloon at the top. One of those really amateur ones. In case any of you wanted to know.

How hot is "really hot"?

If we're talking 110F or cooler, then you are probably just worrying prematurely. If it was 130F or hotter, your yeast is probably dead. In between, it's hard to say.

Well. It was kind of simmering and the foam turned into liquid.

Say. What would happen if I added double the yeast? Would the flavor just get nastier?

Back