I think I killed my yeast....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommybrew

Reaction score
**sigh***

So I bought a new brew kit for my next batch, and it arrived in the mail today. Me being like a kid on xmas, I opened it right away. I cut the tape on top of the package with my little swiss army knife, and I thought I was pretty careful, but the yeast was right at the top of the package and when i cut the tape, I made a 2-3 inch cut in the top of the yeast bag. It's a liquid yeast...nothing spilled out and i was able to double bag all of the contents into ziplock bags.

But I kinda paniced so I didnt sanitize the bags first. Just took them out the box and dumped the yeast in and put it in the fridge. I'm thinking I'm better off just buying new yeast but just wanted to see what you more experienced guys thought, as this will only be my brew.

The type of yeast I murdered is Weihenstephan Weizen Wyeast Activator 3068. One of those smack bag deals. what you guys think? Just get new yeast?

You should be fine...dump it in, wait 24 hours and if there is no activity go get another one...but I dont think you killed the yeast, but you did increase the probability of foreign contaminates...you should avoid doing this as much as possible, but chances are everything will be ok!

I think you might be ok. If you have a LHBS close I would make a run for more yeast. If not 4-6 hours work could possibly be "spoiled" literally if the yeast gets infected. $6 to replace it.

My guess is you should be fine if you brew in the next day or two, if you wait a week or longer to use the yeast, I would throw it out and get new yeast.

Good luck. :mug:

Latest posts

Back