I think I killed my yeast!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delaney

Reaction score
Hey,

Im attempting the Requiem Raspberry recipe. I did it yesterday but had a mishap with melted plastic, so I scrapped that batch. Today I re-did it, but the water temperature was quite hot this time when it was time to pitch the yeast...It may have been above 110F...I definitely stressed them out with this. With yesterday's plastic batch(dumped it) the Nottinghale Yeast was really going by now, but tonight with the new batch I cant smell it at all...

Should I wait until the morning to add more Notthingale yeast when I can buy it, or pitch coopers classic yeast right away to avoid contamination??

Also, would adding more Nottinghale yeast from a fresh pack help alleviate the problem of the yeast focusing on reproduction due to shocking/killing them with heat?

Thanks,

Delaney:ban:

note: yesterday the temp was cooler because I brewed incorrect amount, using imperial gallons

Take a hydro sample after a few more days before deciding to pitch.If it was really going you didint kill the yeast but if you pitched way to high i would suggest letting it sit for a month assuming a good final gravity after a week or so.

Sorry that was worded poorly..

Yesterday's attempt at the recipe was discarded due to melted plastic in wort.

Today I think I pitched way too hot and may have killed the yeast in this attempt...the cold water added to wort here is warmer than yesterday as well due to hot weather...

Wait until morning, add more nottinghale?

Pitch Coopers now to avoif contamination?

if you'll feel a little more secure about it, go ahead and pitch the coopers. you may well have shocked the yeast.

I'd rather wait until the morning to pitch some extra nottinghale, unless it would be most wise to do now with the coopers.

Let's say I did shock the yeast...would waiting until the morning when I can buy more nottinghale be likely to result in contamination, and the end of my beer? I want to stay true to this recipe as much as possible.

I'd rather wait until the morning to pitch some extra nottinghale, unless it would be most wise to do now with the coopers.

Let's say I did shock the yeast...would waiting until the morning when I can buy more nottinghale be likely to result in contamination, and the end of my beer? I want to stay true to this recipe as much as possible.

if you've practiced good sanitation, then you should be ok as far as contamination.

Question is, why did you pitch at 110 degrees? What do you mean it was "hot when it was time to pitch?"

It is time to pitch once you cool your wort down to 70-80 degrees.

So, your bigger issue is you need to learn to cool your wort properly. What did you do to cool your wort to 110? You probably should have kept doing that until you were at 70-80.

nottingham, not nottinghale. anyway, if it was really hot but is cooled off now, i'd pitch another pack to get it going.

There was zero yeast smell, I'm sure that I shocked the yeast and question whether I killed it...so I chucked in some Coopers...they seem to offer relatively similar results for a brown ale anyhow from what I've read...I'm assuming now the stronger will dominate, if there are both strains alive?

Back