I Think I just Screwed up....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morrasy

Reaction score
I just used a wyyeast smack pack for the first time and the inner packet did not break so I poured it in anyways. Is this bad? Did I just ruin my entire batch of beer? I'm really bummed I thought for sure it broke because I beat the hell out of it and I thought it broke. Any advice much appreciated...

I did this once too. As long as it's not a high-grav beer, you're probably OK. You'll get a slow start, though, so be patient.

Yet another good reason to always make a starter with liquid yeasts...:D

morrasy said:
I just used a wyyeast smack pack for the first time and the inner packet did not break so I poured it in anyways. Is this bad? Did I just ruin my entire batch of beer? I'm really bummed I thought for sure it broke because I beat the hell out of it and I thought it broke. Any advice much appreciated...
no this isent bad!!! its not the desired method but not bad all the same.. All your doing with the smack pack as I am sure you know is starting the yeast.. Youll just start the yeast in your wort instead of Wyeasts no bother it will be fine. But for safty sake you should probably send me at least 2 gallons for testing once its finished! HEH HEH HE HE HE ;)
JJ

Ahhh. Thanks for that. If you are ever in the Bay Area of CA I'd be more than happy to share some of my brew. I'm only about 6 batches into this great new hobby and every time I learn something new. I panic easily though after spending four hours making the brew and then when it comes down to pitching the yeast turns out I'm hit the smack pack like a little girl and don't break the activator. Next time it's getting a full power right hand uppercut.

I seem to have more trouble than needed breaking open the inner pack. I get worried that I will break the large pouch because I am pushing so hard. I have had the best results using a book to smack them with the inner pouch is in one corner.

Latest posts

Back