I think I isolated Infinium yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Demfer

Reaction score
Perhaps a slight quality issue with SA, but after getting a case of Infinium to split among friends we discovered one had a good amount of sediment still on the bottom (I thought this would all be removed via their champagne "like" process). I was able to, with some sterility transfer it between 2X 50ml BD tubes, perhaps a total of 10mL of dregs were collected and split between 2 tubes...

Over the last 14 days I have been scaling up one of the tubes and today I hit approx 2.5 liters and 98 million or 9.86E^6cells according to my cell count via hemacytometer. My observations show very good viability and identity between the cells in the culture, tripan blue did not show too much cellular damage.

I was not able to find out too much on my own about what their process or yeast is but I am going to plate/slant a few samples for my collection. I feel pretty good about this! It was all very tasty!

Before and After:

http://img59.imageshack.us/i/img0537small.jpg/
img0537small.jpg

I have no idea what they could have possibly used during this fermentation but the product was sweet and crisp as hell at over 10ABV so its certainly something I want to research for possible future projects...Muahahahaha...

Really the way to go is a variation on Koch's postulates. Using yeast for the pathogen. Let us know. Even if it turns out to be 1056 it is a fun project.

good stuff Demfer, what are you going to do with it?

First Im going to do an experimental ale, Im working on a starter with about 250bil cells to pitch, but i gotta figure out a grain bill. The remainder I am plating on agar/slants for storage.

I thought they used a different yeast strain for finishing, so you may have that strain and not the fermenting yeast, or you may be lucky and have both.

Back