I think I found why my beer does not carb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just looked at a pack to check out the oz's in the bag, if it was 4 or 5 oz's. Well guess what was on the label, Maltodextrin!!!!! I've been priming my beer with this, no frickin wonder why my beer has not been carbonating!! Going to my brew store and have them change the packaging on the Corn Sugar or Maltodextrin. Packages are identical and sit next to each other on the shelf. Damit!!

Damn. That sucks. I tried priming with Lactose on my first batch. I didn't know any better.

haha. Sorry about that. At least it can be salvaged and you didn't accidentally drop acid powder into it instead of Malto. :)

Do you use the same ratio of granulated table sugar as you would the corn sugar?

And prepare it the same as you would cirn sugar?

Prep it the same way. Use about 10% less table sugar for the same carb level. Or, feel free to check out the lunk in my sig for the priming sugar calculator.

Glad you figured it out, OP. Like we told you, if you add the proper amount of priming sugar*, if you let the beer sit at ~70 degrees, it WILL carb.

* - if you don't add priming sugar, results are not guaranteed. ;)

Prep it the same way. Use about 10% less table sugar for the same carb level. Or, feel free to check out the lunk in my sig for the priming sugar calculator.

Thanks. Looks like I'll need a tad more corn sugar according to the calculator
What are the pros and cons between table and corn sugars?

Do not throw out your brew
try this
sodastream-jet-black-300.jpg

Report your results here

PS make sure your wife is not around when you do it. In fact take a vid

PS make sure your wife is not around when you do it. In fact take a vid

Ha ha! Been there...tried that. I second doing it when the wife is not around! what a mess! Actually the first time i did it I anticipated a beer shower, so I did it put the beer in the freezer for an hour then did it on my porch and went very slowly. released pressure extra slowly. no problems. I put the cap on and put it in the fidge for a few hours. unfortunately it was pretty flat still (I'd guess around 1.8 volumes of CO2). The second time I got a bit overconfident and tried to crank up the pressure. When I went to release it beer went EVERYWHERE! If anyone has been successful in carbing this way I would love to know how.

Table sugar is cheaper and more readily available. There is no discernable difference in the final product, as both of them ferment out completely.

I'm not sure there are any pros to corn sugars honestly. Although some swear that cane sugar gives you green apple flavor so don't use it for carbing. I've used both and can't tell the difference.

I don't know if anyone has done a side by side comparison. Corn sugar is more expensive to buy than cane.

I think the sucrose = green apples will soon go the way of you MUST use a secondary for clearing your beer.

Both are completely false.

Just looked at a pack to check out the oz's in the bag, if it was 4 or 5 oz's. Well guess what was on the label, Maltodextrin!!!!! I've been priming my beer with this, no frickin wonder why my beer has not been carbonating!! Going to my brew store and have them change the packaging on the Corn Sugar or Maltodextrin. Packages are identical and sit next to each other on the shelf. Damit!!

That's a real bummer but at least you don't have to clean coffee off your monitor. I'm doing that now because it shot out of my nose when I read your post. I haven't done that, but I've done my fair share of funny things while brewing.

I think the sucrose = green apples will soon go the way of you MUST use a secondary for clearing your beer.

Both are completely false.

Agreed. I secondry everything, but I di it to free up my primary, and to give myself a safety net against trub in the bottling bucket. I am fully aware that secondaries are not necessary.

The "table sugar gives you apple flavors" is just silly. Can you recall the last Belgian beer you had with green apple flavors? Lots of them use a nice chunk of table sugar.

Man. Sorry about that. What a crap deal. You can save your bottled beers opening, adding carbonation drops and recapping.

If you do try to add carbo drops or dry sugar - please have somebody video you - odds on that you will be wearing beer Lol

A less foamy option would be to make up a sugar solution and gently syringe it into each bottle. Work out what you need for each bottle and you should be able to easily fit that amount of sugar solution into the headspace.

Weigh out the of sugar, place in a pyrex jug and add some boiled water to dissolve then allow to cool. Gently syringe required amount into each bottle (grab a syringe from the nearest pharmacy - no needle required), re-cap, give them a gentle shake and check them in a week. :)

Carb drops and/or sugar is not going to cause explosions from the beer bottles. :confused:

Explosion is not what I said. Go try it on a bottle and you will see what I mean about foaming over. The syringe method is clean.

Back