I think I forgot to add priming sugar.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d40dave

Reaction score
I started drinking a batch of beer that should be carbonated but it's not. I must have forgotten to add priming sugar. I was thinking about opening each bottle and adding corn sugar but I do not know how much. I'm not too concerned with optimal carbonation, I just want a ballpark amount. Maybe a 1/8 of a teaspoon? Thanks.

It's been well over a decade since I bottled but iirc I used 3/4 tsp of CS per bottle.
btw, find a 12 ounce soda bottle with a cap, prime and fill it from one of your bottles, then cap it tight.
Use that bottle to know when your glass is conditioned: when the soda bottle is almost too hard to squeeze, the glass is ready for a week in the fridge...

Cheers!

If you're absolutely sure that you did in fact forgot to add the priming sugar, then 1/2tsp of table sugar will work. I exclusively bottle prime these days, and use that amount for basically everything. No idea on the corn sugar amount.

There are carbonation tablets, or drops, out there on the market already that are designed to be added to each 12oz bottle of beer. Hit the googles, order up and save the batch.

Back