I think I did something Bad...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rick4367

Reaction score
I bought a Northern Brewer Extract kit, they call it Smashing Pumpkin. In the description it says that if you want to use actual vegetables to get an 8-10# pumpkin and use 2-3# of Rahr 6-row and add steep with the 1/2# of Caramel 40 @ 152F for 1hr.

So instead I bought Organic Pumpkin Puree and dumped it into my kettle with the 3-1/2# of grain. I strained it out through a strainer a couple times before boiling. The beer is now sitting in the primary now with about 5" of what looks like the puree that settled nicely at the bottom :confused:

I haven't added the yeast yet (my gf is a microbiologist and we were planning on taking the White Labs Liquid Yeast to her lab to grow up a fresh colony tonight).

Should I try to strain the pumpkin puree out further or just shake it up and dump in the yeast and see what happens? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

let it go. just be careful when you rack. when i did mine i dumped all of the pumpkin into primary without straining. it had a lot of sediment, but i just avoided it and the beer was great.

Since you havn't pitched any yeast yet, there is no problem with straining it out or even just pouring/siphoning the wort off of the settled puree. As long as you are sanitary in the process might as well get rid of the extra junk!

But if you let it go it will be fine as well! It is up to you!

Back