I sure am getting my exercise....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beergolf

Reaction score
This brewing thing is getting me a lot of exercise...

I have one batch fermenting in the basement where it is pretty cool and another batch fermenting on the third floor of my house where the temps are a little higher (better for that strain of yeast).

Up....Down....Up.... Down...Up.... Down...

Lots of steps.

I am fairly new so I love the sound of the bubbles and of course the smell.

Tell me about it, I still lug my 30qt pot downstairs to the utility sink to chill. I let the beer ferment in the basement then it's upstairs it goes if I happen to bottle that batch.

I used to get more exercise before I streamlined the process a bit and used ice and a recirculating chiller. Running the hose was getting expensive to cool the wort, I used to run it into a bucket and take the full buckets of warm water to the garage to do laundry with. But there was way too much. 30 dollar pump and an ice chest later, I'm recirculating! No muss no fuss.

Meh... water is free if you know the secret. speaking of that I have to go inspect my meter..

I use a pump and barley crack the valve open on my spigot. takes about 10 minutes to drop the temp from boiling to upper 70's. Ground water temp in winter here is 50's.

That's the key man, ground water. We have rivers here and no wells. It all has to be pumped to us. I wish I could use the river water to cool the wort, it would be in the upper 30s to low 40s after snowmelt enters.

Brother, I've been at it a year and I STILL giggle like a kindergartener with a whoopie cushion every time a batch takes off :D

And I LOVE the smell. Like watchin waves crash in the ocean or the sun set behind 14,000' mountains, I don't think those things wil EVER get old!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beergolf
Brother, I've been at it a year and I STILL giggle like a kindergartener with a whoopie cushion every time a batch takes off

And I LOVE the smell. Like watchin waves crash in the ocean or the sun set behind 14,000' mountains, I don't think those things wil EVER get old!!!

My wife just laughs at me running up and down the stairs several times a day. The Wheat I have fermenting up on the third floor is going crazy, fun to watch.

Back