American Pale Ale i sip you hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdonley

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
safale us-05
Yeast Starter
optional
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
2 weeks @ 65 degrees 1 week rise up to 70
Tasting Notes
tasty pale ale
7# - Pale 2 row
3# - American Vienna
3# - Flaked Oats
1# - Munich 10

Mash at 149-50

1 oz Apollo at FO - 15 minute whirlpool
1 oz Denali at FO - 15 minute whirlpool
1 oz Citra at FO - 15 minute whirlpool
1 oz Citra Hopstand - 15 minutes at 150 degrees
1 oz Denali Hopstand - 15 minutes at 150 degrees
1 oz Apollo Hopstand - 15 minutes at 150 degrees

Dry hopped in keg 7 days with
2 oz Denali
1 oz citra

Then closed transfer to serving keg

I use the 27 x 9 cm hop filter (those screen tubes) in my kettle to eliminate most of the turb and hop mess that goes into my carboy.
I also stir quite a bit during the 15 minute whirlpool and the hopstand.
I Mash low to dry this out a bit, and combat the thin mouthfeel with the ridiculous amount of flaked oats.
I like the NE style IPA's but wanted something a little more subtle, and more balanced.

I agree. I've never brewed with that much oats though. I want to try this for sure! Thank you as well. Just got to get me some Denali now (like the only hop I don't have, lol). I guess I could substitute WLP001, right?

I agree. I've never brewed with that much oats though. I want to try this for sure! Thank you as well. Just got to get me some Denali now (like the only hop I don't have, lol). I guess I could substitute WLP001, right?

Ya I'm sure WLP001 would work fine. I forgot to mention that I threw a healthy handful of rice halls in with the grain, to try and prevent a stuck sparge

Be careful with that Denali, especially late. It's a jacked up Nugget, and will overpower just about everything else this side of Citra. I was not a fan.

Back