I put my wort on a yeast cake and I'm lovin it

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rasherb

Reaction score
Racked an american amber from the bucket to secondary today and dumped a southern english brown ale right on top of the yeast cake in the bucket.

Steady bubbles within an hour. Ripping good primary ferment going strong at two hours.

Why didn't I start doing this sooner?

:rockin::rockin:

ive been meaning to do that for some time- i have serious attenuation issues, and i figure if i cant fix them by pitching a whole yeast cake (and using the O2 im getting soon) then theres no hope

i just brewed a 1.071 OG beer that is mostly wheat, and i pitched a starter of wyeast 1762- when its done i plan on brewing a 1.110 quad and pitching the whole cake!

While this may be a good idea for big beers, you are severely over pitching for normal gravity beers.

While this may be a good idea for big beers, you are severely over pitching for normal gravity beers.

Yes, you must have a plan when re-using the cake. Also, after a very large beer or many re-uses of the same yeast it is not advised as the yeast have been strained.

Back