I.P.A. Label

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was originally gonna call it Old Empire or just Empire IPA.

Do you think either of those or Red Coat sounds better?

Red Coat sounds better. If you tone down the eye makeup, don't do it too much. You need some personality in the eyes. Keep the red regimental coat and the stockings. I think if you eliminate the white waistcoat, it will be more consistent with the lack of trousers and make for a more interesting label. ;)

david_42 said:
Or turn the waistcoat into a bustier.

Yep, that's an even better idea. Somewhat revealing, but leaves a little (not much, but a little) to the imagination, while preserving the historically accurate stylistic element of the waistcoat, albeit in an interestingly modified form.

All the images I have used I have got by google and simple searches, though I do warn you if you are easily offended searching Google for 'Pinups' may not be the safest way to go about it!

I then just resize with paint and use the website www.myimager.com to add the text/borders. Its really easy to use and free!

I hope in the near future to use some of my own drawings for labels, though that may be a little way off for now, and they will almost certainly be in black and white when I do get there.

That's a really cool label. I agree that the bustier would liven it up a bit, but you're on the right track. Most IPA's have a tiger or an elephant on them. It's nice to see the military angle played.

The only problem about grabbing images off the web is that a copyright to that image is held by someone in most cases, and unless you have permission to use the image, or the maker of image has expressed a copyleft or other grant of use that covers your usage, it is a violation of copyright law to use the image. There are images that are expressly in the public domain, but most images you find on the web are not.

Are you likely to be stopped from using the image for labels for your own personal bottles of beer? Probably not, because almost no one will ever know that you used them. You certainly couldn't go commercial with one. But you should at least consider the implications of using someone else's protected images without permission, given intellectual property law as it exists at present.

Having said all that, I personally don't subscribe to the notion that intellectual property is equivalent to tangible property and can be legitimately subject to the same protections. But my view of IP, sadly, is not the law, hence my comments.

I am aware that using labels like this would not be appropriate for commercial use but I think it a little far fetched to think a large art house is gonna come after me for using these in a purely personnal manner.

If I ever go commercial (unlikely) I would obviously have to create my own images, however, if I could afford to go commercial I could afford to pay a real artist to draw exactly want I wanted rather than trying to modify existing pictures!

Then she definately would get a smaller waistcoat!

Back