I only have 3 weeks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpout2c

Reaction score
So I am at sea right now and need a beer!

But I also need to brew some beer for my cousin's wedding. Problem is I will only get back from sea about 3 weeks before the wedding. What do you guys think I should brew that would be good in only 3 weeks? I think it will have to be about four 5 gallon batches (or 2 10gal).

My cousins have already brewed 10 gallons of brown and 5 of Hefeweizen(actually 10 but one keg is gone now). But we need to supplement it with 4 more kegs or so.

I have wanted to brew a Belgian Wit and think it should be fine after 3 weeks. We are also big fans of IPA's but I'm not sure how it would be after so short a ferment.

Any ideas or recipes would be great, extract for now AG is something to tackle this summer.

Just about any Mild would work.

Abili Red Mild

4.6 lbs Pale malt
15 oz. C40L
6 oz Chocolate Malt
5 oz Torrified wheat
1.5 lb dextrose

Mash 149F

90 minutes Golding (5%) 1 oz
15 minutes Golding 0.33 oz

Nottingham or some other high-attenuation yeast.

Ruby red and malty. A real hit at last year's Septembeerfest.

Are you kegging or bottling? If your bottling the chances are your beer won't be ready in three weeks. EVEN if you rush the beer off the yeast cake. You can't rush bottle carbing/conditioning, like you can with a keg and force carbing.

just about any mild would work.

Abili red mild

4.6 lbs pale malt
15 oz. C40l
6 oz chocolate malt
5 oz torrified wheat
1.5 lb dextrose

mash 149f

90 minutes golding (5%) 1 oz
15 minutes golding 0.33 oz

nottingham or some other high-attenuation yeast.

Ruby red and malty. A real hit at last year's septembeerfest.

+1...

I would say a Hefe (I have a 3 week old Hefe that ROCKS), but you already have that.

How about another wheat? Brew a nice American Wheat, add a half ounce of crushed Coriander at flame out. Ferment two weeks with US-05. Add 2oz of Blueberry extract at kegging. Force carb for a week and you are READY.

:rockin:

Are you kegging or bottling? If your bottling the chances are your beer won't be ready in three weeks. EVEN if you rush the beer off the yeast cake. You can't rush bottle carbing/conditioning, like you can with a keg and force carbing.

He said in the original post that he was kegging...

A made a really nice blonde ale for 4th of July that was ready after two weeks and tasted great.

(For 5.25)
7# 2-Row
1# Flaked Wheat
6oz Honey Malt
2oz Carapils

1/2oz Amarillo and Centennial @ FWH
1/2oz Amarillo and Centennial @ 5
(Total of 1oz of hops, not a 1/2oz each)
I also threw about an ounce of Citra in the keg.

A Speed Brew called "Bonneville Flats Bitter "is ready to drink in 7 days. I've done several (with 10 days in the primary) and they are good.

Since you're kegging you can even let it stay in the primary for 7 days (versus 3) so the yeast can clean up after itself to eliminate any diacetyl. That's what I do...and the beer is better for it...and clear too. :mug:

Go to BYO for the recipe, May/June 2006 edition. I know it's on-line because I found it for someone else the other day.

EDIT: Found it: http://***********/component/resource/article/1429-speed-brewing

Thanks for all the reply's guys. I think the APA and the Bonneville Flats look like good recipes. I especialy like the Bonneville because I can brew some others the first weekend then brew it a week later, so I don't get burnt out the first weekend. And the name is cool. I think with those 2 and another hefe I'll be doing good.
Capt Kirk how blueberry is that hefe you did? I'm not a huge fan of fruity beer but had a great sour "blueberry tart" beer once. And it would be nice for a hot summer wedding.

Capt Kirk how blueberry is that hefe you did? I'm not a huge fan of fruity beer but had a great sour "blueberry tart" beer once. And it would be nice for a hot summer wedding.

I think 2oz of extract is perfect. You get just a hint of blueberry, more of an aftertaste.

You can brew it on the light side, to make it a session beer, or brew it stronger, and the blueberry will make it more of a "panty dropper".

A Speed Brew called "Bonneville Flats Bitter "is ready to drink in 7 days. I've done several (with 10 days in the primary) and they are good.

Since you're kegging you can even let it stay in the primary for 7 days (versus 3) so the yeast can clean up after itself to eliminate any diacetyl. That's what I do...and the beer is better for it...and clear too. :mug:

Go to BYO for the recipe, May/June 2006 edition. I know it's on-line because I found it for someone else the other day.

EDIT: Found it: http://***********/component/resource/article/1429-speed-brewing

Thanks for the link!

Back