I never get good head...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbreienrk1

Reaction score
That's what she said...

I had to...but seriously, I never get good head retention on my brews. I've been adding flaked wheat to my recipes for the past 5 or 6 recipes to increase the retention, but it doesn't do anything. My remaining guess is water quality...could that be the issue?

Ive never heard of water being an issue for head retention... but I havent been around that long.

try flaked barley, it seems to do the trick for me. Ive never tried wheat. How much wheat are you adding?

more background info wouldnt hurt; your first post is a little vague. Maybe youll get a bigger fish to bite, if you know what I mean.

oh, and make sure your using a clean glass.

oh, and make sure your using a clean glass.

+1 on this. And it is not just imortant for the glass to be clean, but most importantly it has to be free of soap residue. I now handwash my beer glasses and give them extra rinsing to clean out the soap. Since starting this I have been getting great head.

-phil

philjohnwilliams said:
I now handwash my beer glasses and give them extra rinsing to clean out the soap. Since starting this I have been getting great head.

-phil

Sooooo...flowers aren't necessary? Just a little extra effort on dishwashing and you get great head?

That's what she said...

I had to...but seriously, I never get good head retention on my brews. I've been adding flaked wheat to my recipes for the past 5 or 6 recipes to increase the retention, but it doesn't do anything. My remaining guess is water quality...could that be the issue?

Use flaked barley. Whenever I add some to a recipe the head on the resulting beers are excellent.

beyond dirty glasses and grain bill, the type of yeast, amount of hops, carbonation, temperature, and gravity (original and final) can all effect head as well. do you have an example of a recipe that isn't working?

Back