I need to build a shelf for my kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killian

Reaction score
I'm just wondering if anyone here has built a shelf for their kegerator. Right now I have a shelf made from a case and a half of empty bottles and an old metal self that came with the fridge. Any ideas are appreciated

is this a shelf for the INSIDE of the thing to flatten out the bottom above the compressor compartment?

If so, I just used a piece of 1/2" thick plywood and some short pieces of 2x4 for legs at the front of the thing.

Ditto on that, Got fancy and bought 2 cans of 1.99 spray paint.....Bad idea. First keg that hit that plywood put a nice rubber mark right on the paint.....
But oh well it was fun....

is this a shelf for the INSIDE of the thing to flatten out the bottom above the compressor compartment?

If so, I just used a piece of 1/2" thick plywood and some short pieces of 2x4 for legs at the front of the thing.

What he said.

I used 1/2" MDF, (terrible idea, absorbs moisture like none other), some 2x4 legs, and another piece of MDF for the 2x4s to sit on. I just used liquid nails to glue the sucker together. I used the MDF on the bottom cuz I was afraid the 2x4s might punch through the cold plastic floor of the fridge.

Looks like this:
rv7rT.png

Just avoid MDF. It swells with moisture. Some simple outdoor plywood should work fine though. Hell, I'm not too worried...it took me 10 minutes to cobble mine together, so if it lasts only a year, I'll just recobble.

What he said.

I used 1/2" MDF, (terrible idea, absorbs moisture like none other), some 2x4 legs, and another piece of MDF for the 2x4s to sit on. I just used liquid nails to glue the sucker together. I used the MDF on the bottom cuz I was afraid the 2x4s might punch through the cold plastic floor of the fridge.

Looks like this:
rv7rT.png

I did this same thing but with 1/2" plywood and 2x4's. I also polyed the wood to seal it. works great, I house 4 corny kegs on it with no problems.

i made two shelfs for the bottom of my fridge to make it level. It had a slant were the drawers were. My solution was rather intense. I designed my shelves (that would hold my 5# co2 tank in the bottom wiht a hole through the top for the gas lines and regulators. i cut the shelves out of 1/2 and 1/4 inch hardwood plywood. i glued all corners and then screwed them together with counter sunk screws. Next i primed the whold thing. let dry for 12 hours plus. Then i put 2-3 coats of white enamel paint - the stuff that dries like thick hard plastic. I let the last coat dry for about a day. Then i covered each shelf in bar top epoxy (you can usually find this at your hardwood store oten by the stains/polyurethanes). THe bar top epocy is really nice. it adds some strength to the hole thing. it also covers up a lot of painting flows. It is also great for any spill. also it doesnt absorb moisture and cleans up REAAL easy. Ill post pics tomorrow after work if youd like.

This may not be true for all fridges, but I know for mine I was able to cut a piece of wood that fit into the grooves where the original shelves went. So there was no need to build a stand, just put in a custom shelf.

<necrothreadder>

So, wood is Ok in the fridge? I am building a new "floor" to my fridge. Just some 1/2 ply is ok? Does it need to be treated? Or would that be bad since food is also stored in this fridge?

i wouldnt be putting treated in a container where food items are to be kept, thats nasty stuff. if you just want to use plain old wood maybe use some cedar boards - they are rot resistant and shouldnt require to much work.

Back